For beginners, How to go about finding family?
For beginners, How to go about finding family?
I wanted to start a thread about how people have gone about their searches for family in Italy. Have you contacted hall of records used a particular website etc. What are some good tips for those of use who are just beginning anything we should be doing post here.
Nicholas Racioppi
New Jersey
New Jersey
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?
For beginners may I suggest that you go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom
When this screen comes up you will find the "freely Learn How to Do Italian Genealogy Research the most valuable. =Peter=
When this screen comes up you will find the "freely Learn How to Do Italian Genealogy Research the most valuable. =Peter=
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?
I assume you are looking for living relatives in Italy? If so much will depend on what kind of information you have for Italy. If you have a name try www.paginebianche.it which is the Italian telephone book. You should look for persons with the same first names as those that run in your family to begin with.
If your ancestors left only sisters in Italy when they emigrated then a more intense search will be needed for the birth certificates of these siblings which MAY tell you who they married. Good Luck.
If your ancestors left only sisters in Italy when they emigrated then a more intense search will be needed for the birth certificates of these siblings which MAY tell you who they married. Good Luck.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?
There is also some great material available from the www.familysearch.org site which should not be overlooked. The research guides are amazing, especially if you have never researched Italian records before.
Here are some links to a few that you may find helpful:
Italy Research Outline
Italy Civil Registration Birth 1809-1865
Finding Records of Your Ancestors in Italy
1809 to 1910
And there are so many more in the index located here..
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... eTab=Title
Don't forget to check out Cyndi's List either. She has the most comprehensive genealogy index on the net. There are many books available as well, although many are out of print and may only be available online. I currently have a nice little collection going.
And lastly..before researching overseas, its best to have all your North American (or English, Australian, etc) research done first. Always best to work backwards starting with yourself.
Hope this helps.
Here are some links to a few that you may find helpful:
Italy Research Outline
Italy Civil Registration Birth 1809-1865
Finding Records of Your Ancestors in Italy
1809 to 1910
And there are so many more in the index located here..
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... eTab=Title
Don't forget to check out Cyndi's List either. She has the most comprehensive genealogy index on the net. There are many books available as well, although many are out of print and may only be available online. I currently have a nice little collection going.
And lastly..before researching overseas, its best to have all your North American (or English, Australian, etc) research done first. Always best to work backwards starting with yourself.
Hope this helps.
Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?
I need help. I am trying to establish dual citizenship with Italy. I need to write to the Comuni of Collepietro and Navelli to get a legal copy of my grandparent's birth records. They were married in the US and became citizens of the US, so the birth records is all I need. I have looked at a number of websites with example letters on them, but I am confused. If there is anyone that could write the letter for me and email it to me, then I could type it out and send it. This would have to be a free service for me, though. Email me at scimet@yahoo.com and I will send you the information you need.
Thank you in advance,
Maria
Thank you in advance,
Maria
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?
Go to www.mangeruca.com for form letters in Italian to rquest documents from the UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE is both Collepietro and Navelli (Postale 67020 for both) in Aquila proinvce, Abruzzo, Italy. Request a PLURILINGUE copy of the brith records. The service is free but you should enclose a self addressed envelope with $5.00s ince research for the clerks is an end of day duty and are poorly paid. Normal wait time is 6-8 weeks. =Peter=



