Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
If you have the whole page i can try to verify with other words. The only thing i can suppose is "Mezza" with the meaning of "Metà " (Half), but i'm not sure.
I probably should have added more info when I first posted. This is a page from a 1750 stato dell'anime. The line reads:
"Angela Lisabetta Maria Troisi, sua nezza, e figlia di Filippo e q. Petronilla di Garofano..... yada yada .... age 11."
The woman on the (cut-off) line above her was her grandmother, aged sixty, and according to the formula of the other households, "sua nezza" describes her relationship to the head of the house (in this case her grandmother.)
In the previous censuses "nipote" was used for niece/nephew/grandchild, so this "nezza" thing is a new twist.
I've scoured the Latin books and can't find anything remotely similar and I know it's not dialect. It's bugging me that I can't find a definition.....
I, for example, didn't do it, but i just did think it wasn't the correct transcription of the word because i never heard of it ... so, i insist, "ottimo, Livio".
As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians. The earlies...