Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78 wrote:On Ellis Island just search the name Epifania Barilotta. Its the only one lisetd. Its hard to tell if it ends in a or o to me. Also I find it odd they mark the females with a G with an X through it.
Luigi Basilotta 52, abt 1842
- last residence Nicosia (comune of Nicosia, province of Enna, (was Catania), Sicily) Providenza D'Amico 45, abt 1849 children
Epifania 14 (edit: corrected name to feminine)
Francesco 12
Giovanni 8
Michele 6 Serafina 5, abt 1889
Antonia 1
Thank you for posting it on there. I wasnt sure how. I tried to put the link but it was a mile long and you couldnt open it.
See there it says its a male, but ellis island says female. I guess it doesnt matter either way because Im sure they would have changed there name once they were here and I have no way of finding out what it is. One of my relatives from Genoa, Italy said that name is so uncommon in Italy and hes suprised to even hear it. So Im sure they used a different name here.
You know Im not sure of that relation or if its Luigi or Louis the father or a son. I have seen the name Sigmund tied to Giovanni and Michele when they becamse natutralized. Sigmund was the witness. So I know there is a relation but not sure how. Where did you find that Luigi and Sigmund lived together?
Home in 1920:
Bronx Assembly District 8, Bronx, New York Sigmund Bavelotta 41
Mary Bavelotta 40
Providence Bavelotta 16
Frances Bavelotta 14
Louis Bavelotta 12
Vincent Bavelotta 9 father Louis Bavelotta 78
You guys and gals are awesome! Thanks you! There is no son named Sigmund who came over with Luigi. I wonder if one of his kids changed there name to Sigmund when they got here. I know its not Michele or Giovanni. They went with John and Michael. But he had a son Francesco who probably went with Frank. Unless Epifanio is a boy not a girl. I wonder.
DeFilippis78 wrote:You guys and gals are awesome! Thanks you! There is no son named Sigmund who came over with Luigi. I wonder if one of his kids changed there name to Sigmund when they got here. I know its not Michele or Giovanni. They went with John and Michael. But he had a son Francesco who probably went with Frank. Unless Epifanio is a boy not a girl. I wonder.
Alicia
This may be Sigismondo Basilotta b abt 1878-81, arriving after the rest of his family.
It may be possible to confirm this record with his naturalization documents. 1897 manifest
---
You may want to look for census records for these folks - it may be your Epifania Basilotta b abt 1879-81
Name Marriage Date Certificate County
Messinia Mariano Dec 25 1900 21791 (1900) Manhattan Basilotti Ebifania Dec 25 1900 21791 (1900) Manhattan
As far as sigmund...is it common for one child to come over by themselves AFTER the rest of the family came? And what kind of manifest is that? It doesnt have much info as far as dates on and ship name.
The marriage link for Epifania would make sense. How many Epifania Basilotta could there be. She was born in 1880 so the date of birth would be right. I dont see anything in the cenus for her, before or after marriage. The only trace of her Ive found is the ship manifest
DeFilippis78 wrote:As far as sigmund...is it common for one child to come over by themselves AFTER the rest of the family came? And what kind of manifest is that? It doesnt have much info as far as dates on and ship name.
It was not unusual for family members to travel separately.
Depending upon his birth date, he may stayed behind to fulfill his military service in Italy.
Early manifests didn't have much information on them.
from ancestry. com
Name: Sigismondi Basilotti
Arrival Date: 8 May 1897
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Sarnia
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_673
What is the name Philip in Italian. In all my research I see the same 4 boys together working as barbers in the Bronx...Michael, John, Sigmund and Philip. I know the first 3 are all brothers but Im trying to find the relation of Philip.
Alicia
PS- You are so helpful, you find things in seconds Ive been looking for , for awhile!
DeFilippis78 wrote:What is the name Philip in Italian. In all my research I see the same 4 boys together working as barbers in the Bronx...Michael, John, Sigmund and Philip. I know the first 3 are all brothers but Im trying to find the relation of Philip.
Alicia
PS- You are so helpful, you find things in seconds Ive been looking for , for awhile!
Alicia,
I'm so glad we could help.
Searching just takes practice
I'll bet you're faster today than you were a week ago!
---
Alicia wrote:On Ellis Island just search the name Epifania Barilotta. Its the only one lisetd. Its hard to tell if it ends in a or o to me. Also I find it odd they mark the females with a G with an X through it.
Alicia
It definitely ends in a. Females are marked with a F (see the F of Francesco ion the following line)
First Name: Epifania
Last Name: Barilotta
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Nicoait
Date of Arrival: Aug 20, 1894
Age at Arrival: 14y Gender: F Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Olympia
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy via Gibraltar
Manifest Line Number: 0080
In its most general sense, the term genealogy refers to the study of family history, while encompassing such related fields as ethnology, onomatology and --in rather few cases-- heraldry. It is important to bear in mind that genealogy forms part of the framework of general history. The best genealog...