Does anyone know anything about the Italian surname Garvani?
As far as I know it is a very rare surname, even in Italy. There are a cluster of Garvanis in Lancashire, England (my dad's extended family, but we don't speak to them). Internet searches have also shown a few Garvanis in America and Canada, including a Garvani Jewelry Company in San Francisco.
The only family history I know is that my Grandad came over to England fron Italy during WW2. He married my Grandma in Oldham, Lancashire.
Ancestry.co.uk has a marriage record for Edith Garvani (my grandma) to a spouse with the surname Garyani... This is confusing, because I'm sure my Grandma's maiden name was English, so not Garvani. But it may be that the original Italian surname was Garyani, and this got changed to Garvani when my Grandad came to England.
Any information would be great.
Garvani
Re: Garvani
HI,
unfortunately, you give very little info about first names or dates of the people you are looking for, which makes it impossible to help you.
1. The name Garvani is quite common around the Genoa area of Italy.
2. You don't say whether or not you have requested the marriage cert of
Edith Garvani in Oldham. If you already have it, you'll probably find that
Garyani is a mistake. It might be worth your while subscribing to
Ancestry.co.uk to get the information and find out just what was going on.
Hope this helps.
Seraphina
unfortunately, you give very little info about first names or dates of the people you are looking for, which makes it impossible to help you.
1. The name Garvani is quite common around the Genoa area of Italy.
2. You don't say whether or not you have requested the marriage cert of
Edith Garvani in Oldham. If you already have it, you'll probably find that
Garyani is a mistake. It might be worth your while subscribing to
Ancestry.co.uk to get the information and find out just what was going on.
Hope this helps.
Seraphina
Re: Garvani
Hiand welcome to the forum.
This site will show you where in Italy Garvanis live.
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
The name is rare and as Seraphina said seem to center on the border of Liguria and Tuscany. This site will give you more info.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
This is the only Garvani I could find who came through Ellis Island.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0063950336&
Haven't figured out where Andenoro is yet, but I'll keep looking.
Hope this helps.
This site will show you where in Italy Garvanis live.
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
The name is rare and as Seraphina said seem to center on the border of Liguria and Tuscany. This site will give you more info.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
This is the only Garvani I could find who came through Ellis Island.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0063950336&
Haven't figured out where Andenoro is yet, but I'll keep looking.
Hope this helps.
Re: Garvani
These are all the Garvani in Italy with phones.
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Garvani
There are 4 GARVANI reflected in www.familysearch.org (just put in the Garvani surname and nothing else).. USA, Argentina and Italy reflected therein. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Garvani
Hi
I hope you are still checking out this forum. My maiden name is Garvani and my father came from Fosdinovo - a little village in Massa Carrara, Tuscany. Don't know too much about that side of my family history. My dad was Mario, son of Alfredo Garvani and I think his father was Pellegrino. My father was a result of Alfredo's second marriage to my grandmother Ersilia Petacchi (or Bardine as she was also married before) would love to hear from you and how we might be related - probably are, as like you, I found that there aren't many with that surname.
Ersilia
nee Garvani
I hope you are still checking out this forum. My maiden name is Garvani and my father came from Fosdinovo - a little village in Massa Carrara, Tuscany. Don't know too much about that side of my family history. My dad was Mario, son of Alfredo Garvani and I think his father was Pellegrino. My father was a result of Alfredo's second marriage to my grandmother Ersilia Petacchi (or Bardine as she was also married before) would love to hear from you and how we might be related - probably are, as like you, I found that there aren't many with that surname.
Ersilia
nee Garvani
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Garvani
Your correct there are ionly 8 comune with Garvani surname listed in www.gens.labo.net with 6 clustered on the coast of Toscana and one in Lombardia and the other in Campania. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Garvani
hi! i Alessio Bonaccorsi son of Alfredo Bonaccorsi son of Lidia Garvani ....Mario's sister!
i met your father when he came to Italy!
somewhere i have picture with him....i have a good memories of Mario.
sorry for my english
i met your father when he came to Italy!
somewhere i have picture with him....i have a good memories of Mario.
sorry for my english
-
christinavickers31
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 09 May 2018, 20:34
Re: Garvani
Hi Ersilia,ersilia wrote: 11 Jan 2011, 13:29 Hi
I hope you are still checking out this forum. My maiden name is Garvani and my father came from Fosdinovo - a little village in Massa Carrara, Tuscany. Don't know too much about that side of my family history. My dad was Mario, son of Alfredo Garvani and I think his father was Pellegrino. My father was a result of Alfredo's second marriage to my grandmother Ersilia Petacchi (or Bardine as she was also married before) would love to hear from you and how we might be related - probably are, as like you, I found that there aren't many with that surname.
Ersilia
nee Garvani
I believe we are related. My great-grandfather was Alfredo Garvani from Tuscany's "bastard". Ercole Garvani. Please email me at christinavickers31@gmail.com
Thank you,
Christina
