WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
I am brand new to this... and unfortunately all of my grandparents are dead so there is no one who has easy access to information.
My first Questions is this... I've found a WWII Draft Registration Card for my Paternal Grandfather. Does that mean he was naturalized? Did NON Citizens have to fill out Draft Cards? The good news is it lists his birthplace as Italy and lists his birthday. Although I can't find him anywhere else... in any of the census logs... etc. Not sure what to do next.
Also... I've found the ship my Maternal Grandfather came to America on... but I can't find ANYTHING ELSE on him... and my Mom doesn't remember if he was ever a citizen of the US.
I've ordered My Mom's birth Certificate, my Dad's Birthd Certificate, and my grandparents Marriage certificates... do you think the info will be on there as well?
HELP!
My first Questions is this... I've found a WWII Draft Registration Card for my Paternal Grandfather. Does that mean he was naturalized? Did NON Citizens have to fill out Draft Cards? The good news is it lists his birthplace as Italy and lists his birthday. Although I can't find him anywhere else... in any of the census logs... etc. Not sure what to do next.
Also... I've found the ship my Maternal Grandfather came to America on... but I can't find ANYTHING ELSE on him... and my Mom doesn't remember if he was ever a citizen of the US.
I've ordered My Mom's birth Certificate, my Dad's Birthd Certificate, and my grandparents Marriage certificates... do you think the info will be on there as well?
HELP!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
First answer: No. Everyone registered, whether a citizen or not.
You have a manifest? If it is for a period much later than 1906'ish, are there any numbers written next to/above your grandfather-s name? Notations written after the fact; not at the time of travel. If so, then this is an excellent sign that he at least began the naturalization process.
If you would care to share some information, perhaps we can help locate records. Name, birthdate or year, arrival date, where resided in the US, name of spouse and/or children.
You have a manifest? If it is for a period much later than 1906'ish, are there any numbers written next to/above your grandfather-s name? Notations written after the fact; not at the time of travel. If so, then this is an excellent sign that he at least began the naturalization process.
If you would care to share some information, perhaps we can help locate records. Name, birthdate or year, arrival date, where resided in the US, name of spouse and/or children.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
When writing for a "long form" birth certificate which has parents names and other pertinent data you request ESTRATTO DI NASCITA (Birth extract) of the original record. Its still free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Thanks guys... This is what have of my Paternal Grandfather...
A WWII draft registration card...serial number 2634... Ralph Caprio... born November 21, 1884 - in Teora Italy - Living on Broadway in Newark. I had no record of his arrival or of him naturalization!
My Maternal Grandfather Nicola Acquaviva is listed on a ship called the Augustus with arrived on New York from Napes on July 5, 1930 (which in 2 days will be 80 years ago.)... He resided in Newark like most Italians in NJ... is birthday was Nov. 17. (about) 1913... His is listed from someplace called "c abate" (does anyone know where that is?)... He drops off the map after that... no census data... no naturalization records...
And, as I said, all of my grandparents are dead... so I am having a hard time getting any information...
My head is spinning just a bit.
A WWII draft registration card...serial number 2634... Ralph Caprio... born November 21, 1884 - in Teora Italy - Living on Broadway in Newark. I had no record of his arrival or of him naturalization!
My Maternal Grandfather Nicola Acquaviva is listed on a ship called the Augustus with arrived on New York from Napes on July 5, 1930 (which in 2 days will be 80 years ago.)... He resided in Newark like most Italians in NJ... is birthday was Nov. 17. (about) 1913... His is listed from someplace called "c abate" (does anyone know where that is?)... He drops off the map after that... no census data... no naturalization records...
And, as I said, all of my grandparents are dead... so I am having a hard time getting any information...
My head is spinning just a bit.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Ralph's wife's first name? Maiden name too, if you know it.ncaprio wrote:Thanks guys... This is what have of my Paternal Grandfather...
A WWII draft registration card...serial number 2634... Ralph Caprio... born November 21, 1884 - in Teora Italy - Living on Broadway in Newark. I had no record of his arrival or of him naturalization!
How about his children's names - you must know at least one of them...
Any idea who "Rose Percshio" was? She's listed on his WWII draft card as the person who would always know how to contact him.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Probably Comune di Castellabate , Provincia di Salerno, Regione di Campania (Southern Italy).ncaprio wrote:His is listed from someplace called "c abate" (does anyone know where that is?)...
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellabate and http://www.comune.castellabate.sa.it/
The Italian telephone directory shows four Aquaviva's currently in Castellabate: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... abate&l=en
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
I think this may be Ralph's ship's manifest. Can you confirm?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
That makes sense (Comune di Castellabate) since my mom said that he came from Salerno...
In terms of My Paternal Grandfather... his wife was names Louisa... and his son Nicholas (or Nicola)...
In terms of My Paternal Grandfather... his wife was names Louisa... and his son Nicholas (or Nicola)...
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Well his true name was Raphael... how do you FIND this stuff?!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Nicola's 1930 manifest.
Note that he was travelling with his mother, (can't make out her first name) middle name Maria, aged 28, his sister Giovanna (aged
, brother Giulio (aged 9 months). Nicola was 17.
Mother, Giovanna, and Giulio were born in Camerota (also in Salerno province); Nicola was born in Castellabate and worked as a shoemaker.
They were all planning to meet up with Maria's husband / the children's father, Andrea Acquaviva, at 121 East 23rd Street in Paterson, NJ.
From column 17, I would infer that Maria's father's name was Luigi and he lived in Castellabate; and I suspect that her mother's name was Rose Ippolito, also in Castellabate. Now, the question is, is Ippolito her married name (and thus Luigi's surname) or her maiden name. There is some confusion here, as Italian women generally travelled under their maiden name but that does not seem to be the case with Maria...
Manifest page 1: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage1.jpg

Manifest page 2: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage2.jpg

Note that he was travelling with his mother, (can't make out her first name) middle name Maria, aged 28, his sister Giovanna (aged
Mother, Giovanna, and Giulio were born in Camerota (also in Salerno province); Nicola was born in Castellabate and worked as a shoemaker.
They were all planning to meet up with Maria's husband / the children's father, Andrea Acquaviva, at 121 East 23rd Street in Paterson, NJ.
From column 17, I would infer that Maria's father's name was Luigi and he lived in Castellabate; and I suspect that her mother's name was Rose Ippolito, also in Castellabate. Now, the question is, is Ippolito her married name (and thus Luigi's surname) or her maiden name. There is some confusion here, as Italian women generally travelled under their maiden name but that does not seem to be the case with Maria...
Manifest page 1: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage1.jpg

Manifest page 2: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... apage2.jpg

Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Here is a site that allows searches by any category.
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
I searched for R Caprio with a birth year for 1880-85.
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
I searched for R Caprio with a birth year for 1880-85.
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
You guys are amazing! Do you have any recommendations of people and/or companies that I can go through to get the Italian Records - my Grandparents Italian Birth Certificates and things of that nature?
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Possible 1st manifest for Andrea Acquaviva. I think he made a number of trips back and forth.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Another possible manifest. Apparently there were 2 Andreas, probably cousins. (Gives you a clue that their grandfather might also have been Andrea) you'll have to sort some of this out.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010
Re: WWII Draft Registration Card = Citizen?
Here is another possible trip, but I can't pull up the manifest.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0678030018
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0678030018
