what is "ungrasto"?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
Contact:

what is "ungrasto"?

Post by vintagegamer »

Here is the full sentence from one of my relative's letters:

"Il marito di Maria lavora in fabrica distileria e con il fumo che esce ungrasto; ha respirato il fumo ha vecto anche lui andare ha l'ospedale per in fortunio..."
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: what is "ungrasto"?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Two l's in distilleria = distillery. The other word is "un gasato" - "a still".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
Contact:

Re: what is "ungrasto"?

Post by vintagegamer »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Two l's in distilleria = distillery. The other word is "un gasato" - "a still".
Thanks Carmine!

VG
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: what is "ungrasto"?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You're welcome.

And, shame on me, I should have said "the other word is probably meant to be "un gasato" - "a still".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
Contact:

Re: what is "ungrasto"?

Post by vintagegamer »

johnnyonthespot wrote:You're welcome.

And, shame on me, I should have said "the other word is probably meant to be "un gasato" - "a still".
You are fine. This letter came from an elderly relative to my great great uncle back in 1968, and is chock full of grammar errors. I in no way want to disrespect my ancestor when saying that the writing has alot of errors, but it sure has made this letter challenging to read. I showed it to another friend who reads and writes italian and they said "it really looks like education levels were low for this person" and then they thought I'd be offended that they said that. I'm simply happy that so many have stepped up to help me translate a letter that's 42 years old and still in existence!
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com
Post Reply