What do you think this name says?
What do you think this name says?
Hi Guys,
I just got a marriage rec in today. The bride's mother's surname looks like it could be a couple of different things.
What do you guys think this last name is?
Thanks for the help!
I just got a marriage rec in today. The bride's mother's surname looks like it could be a couple of different things.
What do you guys think this last name is?
Thanks for the help!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: What do you think this name says?
There are currently 91 Ramina's listed in the Italian telephone directory. Could be Maria F. Ramina, but I am not certain...
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: What do you think this name says?
I read Ramanna which does not seem to be an Italian surname. If you Google "Ramanna" you get 670,000+ hits, many of them refer to Maryada Ramanna, an Indian actress. Ells Island has 3 Italian entries with this surname...
Re: What do you think this name says?
It also looks like Ramanna to me, but I couldn't find it in the Italian phonebook and didn't know if it was now an obsolete surname in Italy.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: What do you think this name says?
My first thought (probably everyone's) was Ramanna as well. Perhaps we are making the error of assuming that Maria was Italian when in fact she was not?
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: What do you think this name says?
Possibly it's a misspelled variant of the surname Romano. Notice that the first variant in the list below has the letter "a" as the second letter.
Surname: Romano
Variants: Ramani, Roman, Romanelli, Romanetti, Romanini, Romanin, Romanucci, Romanazzi, Romanatti, Romanati, Romanato,
Cognome tra i piu’ diffusi in Italia, prevalentemente nel sud dell’Italia.
Surname: Romano
Variants: Ramani, Roman, Romanelli, Romanetti, Romanini, Romanin, Romanucci, Romanazzi, Romanatti, Romanati, Romanato,
Cognome tra i piu’ diffusi in Italia, prevalentemente nel sud dell’Italia.
Re: What do you think this name says?
65 results for Ramani in the current Italian phonebook. The following comes up for the Ramana.
Ramana S.R.L.
90146 Palermo (PA) Viale Del Fante, 48tel:
* 091 6703095
I can't tell though if, in the above, Ramana is technically a surname
Ramana S.R.L.
90146 Palermo (PA) Viale Del Fante, 48tel:
* 091 6703095
I can't tell though if, in the above, Ramana is technically a surname
Re: What do you think this name says?
Thanks everybody for your help. This is still puzzling to me. It does kind of look like Ramanna but that doesn't seem right. I'm sure that she was Italian too and some of the possibilities just don't seem like Italian names.
I considered the possibility that the last letters could also be "ssa" because by the look of the 's's' it seems like that might work too- but then what would the rest of it be?
I considered the possibility that the last letters could also be "ssa" because by the look of the 's's' it seems like that might work too- but then what would the rest of it be?
Re: What do you think this name says?
What about the surname Ramona? Maybe it was mistakenly written with a double n. There are 122 in the current Italian phonebook.
Re: What do you think this name says?
Forget that idea. The entries are not actually surnames in the phonebook.
Re: What do you think this name says?
Carmen M Ramanna (alias Mary Ramanna) in PA.
http://names.whitepages.com/Pennsylvania/Carmen/Ramanna
http://names.whitepages.com/Pennsylvania/Carmen/Ramanna
Re: What do you think this name says?
Thanks guys!
Everyone seems to be leaning towards Ramanna...I'll probably put that in for now until I can find any other records to cross-check it with.
Unfortunately, these people came from one of the "dead zones" in Salerno. No films available so it's not that easy to come by other records.
Everyone seems to be leaning towards Ramanna...I'll probably put that in for now until I can find any other records to cross-check it with.
Unfortunately, these people came from one of the "dead zones" in Salerno. No films available so it's not that easy to come by other records.

