Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Hi,
It's a long shot, but can someone tell me if maybe this was Catello's mother, he was born in Jan. 1884, she passed away in Dec. 1884, but I cannot read it as it is in Italian. Does it say she had children?
Thank you again.
I will try image download, but if not here is the linK
https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/sh ... u8TUc%253D
It's a long shot, but can someone tell me if maybe this was Catello's mother, he was born in Jan. 1884, she passed away in Dec. 1884, but I cannot read it as it is in Italian. Does it say she had children?
Thank you again.
I will try image download, but if not here is the linK
https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/sh ... u8TUc%253D
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
women in the Italian records are under their maiden and not married names!
the woman in the record was the wife of a Stanislao Esposito and 26 years old.
the woman in the record was the wife of a Stanislao Esposito and 26 years old.
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Thank you, so there is a chance they are related somehow, aunt? I have looked all through the Family Search site and there is no one that fits to be his parents. It is really a mystery as to why and what could have happened to them that he lived with someone else when 12 in America and then named that man as his father, but kept his own surname?
Was this woman from Salerno? Does it give any info. like her parents?
Was this woman from Salerno? Does it give any info. like her parents?
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Rosa Punzo parents are Antonnio Punzo and Carmina Gierro both from the town or comune Castellammare di Stabia province of Naples in the region of Campania
Marty A
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Thanks, Marty! What do you think? Any relation? Do you think that Antonnio could be Catello's gf? Also is Campania near Salerno?
I just took a 60 minute class on Italian records, they made it look so easy!
I just took a 60 minute class on Italian records, they made it look so easy!
adelfio wrote:Rosa Punzo parents are Antonnio Punzo and Carmina Gierro both from the town or comune Castellammare di Stabia province of Naples in the region of Campania
Marty A
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Marty, in the bottom of that document do you see the name Catello Coppola? Does it say how she died? And she was married to Esposito, right? I typed word for word into a translator but I cannot read the handwriting!
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
ok this is how it would be
I live in Illinois that would be the region(like Campania) Cook County would be the province (like Salerno) and city of Chicago would be the comune Atrani
Marty A
I live in Illinois that would be the region(like Campania) Cook County would be the province (like Salerno) and city of Chicago would be the comune Atrani
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
OH wow, so that's a very large area.
adelfio wrote:ok this is how it would be
I live in Illinois that would be the region(like Campania) Cook County would be the province (like Salerno) and city of Chicago would be the comune Atrani
Marty A
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
The Catello Coppola who appears in the record near the bottom was one of two witnesses at the town hall when the document was created. He was a mason or bricklayer. The record does not state if there was a relationship between him and the deceased in the record. Often witnesses were just individuals at the town hall who simply served as witnesses to the creation of the record and had no relation to the individual named in the record (in this case the deceased). They were not witnesses to the death itself.PunzoNewHaven wrote:Marty, in the bottom of that document do you see the name Catello Coppola? Does it say how she died? And she was married to Esposito, right? I typed word for word into a translator but I cannot read the handwriting!
Italian death records normally do not give the cause of death. There is no cause of death in this record.
Peg
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
There are alot of Punzo's in Castellammare di Stabia maybe it is a long lost family member I would stick with the Atrani area and search that throughly because of what your other records have said both towns are close and in the same region but not province....
Marty A
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
You say you searched the Family Search site but you need to write to the town for the records and patiently search backwards. The only records and info on the site are those provided by members who may or may not have correctly identified their ancestors.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
I found a new link on the family search site, it has the actual Italian birth records written very nicely and scanned in (the originals) it goes up to 1860, I searched 73 pages and only found Ponzo's, some of the names I am familiar with like Vincenzo, no relation but on the Ancestry site also under Punzo. I am going to get the letter out, I have been really busy at work!
Italysearcher wrote:You say you searched the Family Search site but you need to write to the town for the records and patiently search backwards. The only records and info on the site are those provided by members who may or may not have correctly identified their ancestors.
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Thanks, Marty. I was not familiar with the locations at all! So Campania is OK to search online, too, right?
You should see those records on Family Search, hard to get to but worth it, I almost went blind reading so many.
You should see those records on Family Search, hard to get to but worth it, I almost went blind reading so many.
adelfio wrote:There are alot of Punzo's in Castellammare di Stabia maybe it is a long lost family member I would stick with the Atrani area and search that throughly because of what your other records have said both towns are close and in the same region but not province....
Marty A
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
- PunzoNewHaven
- Rookie

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 15:13
- Location: New Haven, CT
Re: Need Translation Help w/ Italian Death Certificate
Thank you!! I was looking through the birth records, Catello was a very popular name in Italy in the 1800's.
Question, since I am not finding one Punzo out of thousands of records could they have recorded it as Ponzo?
maestra36 wrote:The Catello Coppola who appears in the record near the bottom was one of two witnesses at the town hall when the document was created. He was a mason or bricklayer. The record does not state if there was a relationship between him and the deceased in the record. Often witnesses were just individuals at the town hall who simply served as witnesses to the creation of the record and had no relation to the individual named in the record (in this case the deceased). They were not witnesses to the death itself.PunzoNewHaven wrote:Marty, in the bottom of that document do you see the name Catello Coppola? Does it say how she died? And she was married to Esposito, right? I typed word for word into a translator but I cannot read the handwriting!
Italian death records normally do not give the cause of death. There is no cause of death in this record.
Peg
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!