thanks, I will try postimage.org
I have just started using Ancestry .com but didn't find the 1910 manifest, so thanks
Can anyone help?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Can anyone help?
Excuxe me if this question seems silly, but in an earlier post you mentioned being unable to find information about Agostino's parents, etc.
You do realize that this info is on the front of his passport, correct?
You do realize that this info is on the front of his passport, correct?
It is possible that Agostino did not have a passport at the time of his earlier trips to the US; the rules tightened substantially in late 1906.Figlio di (son of) Alfonso (the surname is presumed to be Gialanella)
e di (and of) Portanova (?) Concetta
nato a (born in) Guardia Lombardia
il (the) 22 Luglio (July) 1884
residente a (resident in) Guardia Lombardia
in provincia di (province of) Avelino
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Can anyone help?
Include a photocopy of the passport when you write to Guardia Lombardia for Agostino's birth and marriage certificates. May as well ask for little Alfonso's birth certificate as well, and Antonia Caruso's - she was probably born there also.
There is generally no charge for these documents. At most, a few euros to cover postage.
There is generally no charge for these documents. At most, a few euros to cover postage.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Can anyone help?
NO...that is not a silly question, but
I didn't know what it had said. I was guessing that his father's name was Alfonso, but couldn't prove it. Wow!!! I LIKE this site. Do you happen to know how much it costs to have those certificates sent to me if I write to them? I would want to include it, or do they tell you later? I really appreciate all the help you have been to me. I am sure I will discover knew questions and will certainly be back.
Thank you
Oh, and...you seem to know Italian...I posted under the translation forum about a letter I needed translating. I only posted 1 page of it so far, to see if anyone could translate it. Take a look if you get a chance. It is under "new member needs help translating this". If not, you have been SO helpful here...thanks
Thank you
Oh, and...you seem to know Italian...I posted under the translation forum about a letter I needed translating. I only posted 1 page of it so far, to see if anyone could translate it. Take a look if you get a chance. It is under "new member needs help translating this". If not, you have been SO helpful here...thanks
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Can anyone help?
No, I know very little Italian, but I have been looking at these documents for a long time and can cope with the basics. Letters such as the one you posted on the other board are beyond my ability; if they are clear enough to be able to make out the spelling, I type them into Google's translator ( http://translate.google.com/# ) and then see what I can make of it. Got to be careful with that however...
Most comuni do not charge anything at all for birth and marriage certificates, so I would begin with that assumption.
Most comuni do not charge anything at all for birth and marriage certificates, so I would begin with that assumption.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!


