I'm trying to find out some info about my ancestors.
One of the pieces of info I found said that the person was born in Lingnoghia, Italy.
Does anyone have any idea what the real name of that place might be?
It may have been written phonetically and/or the handwriting was read incorrectly. I don't have the original writing for comparison.
I can't find anything that fits.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Searching
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Searching
I can't think of anything. If you tell us what or who it relates to, maybe we can find other documentary evidence that will clear up the location.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Searching
The nearest place (spelling-wise) I can come up with would be Comune di Ligonchio, Provincia di Reggio Emilia, Regione di Emilia-Romagna, Northeastern Italy.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Searching
Thank you so much, Johnny! I think you named the correct place.
It came from a US Military record of an uncle that was born in Italy and killed in action. My grandfather and 3 grandmothers died before I was born. In the short time I knew my only living grandfather, he spoke about the future and did not say much about his past. He buried his wife and a son someplace in Italy before bringing his other 2 children to the US. He remarried but I'm not sure if that was in Italy or the US. I do not know where his second wife is buried.
Both of my parents died and I'm an only child. My dad's 2nd wife kept the few documents there were on my parents when she moved in with her grandaughter. His 2nd wife is deceased and I'm not sure of her grandaughter's name or where she lives.
It came from a US Military record of an uncle that was born in Italy and killed in action. My grandfather and 3 grandmothers died before I was born. In the short time I knew my only living grandfather, he spoke about the future and did not say much about his past. He buried his wife and a son someplace in Italy before bringing his other 2 children to the US. He remarried but I'm not sure if that was in Italy or the US. I do not know where his second wife is buried.
Both of my parents died and I'm an only child. My dad's 2nd wife kept the few documents there were on my parents when she moved in with her grandaughter. His 2nd wife is deceased and I'm not sure of her grandaughter's name or where she lives.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Searching
Mary,
Was your uncle fighting for the US or for Italy? WWI or WWII?
If he died fighting for Italy, you can probably find him listed here: http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... lture.aspx. Put his surname in the cognome field and click Aviva Ricerca (the other fields are nome=given name, anno di nascita = year of birth, luogo di nascita = city/village of birth). Scroll down to see the results; click the arrow in the last column to see the full results:
Nome = given name
Cognome = surname
Data di Nascita = date of birth, dd/mm/yyyy
Luogo di Nascita = place of birth
Luogo Sepoltura = place where interred/buried
Data Decesso = date of death, dd/mm/yyyy
Luogo Decesso = place of death
On the other hand, if he was a member of the US military, sites such as ancestry.com should have his draft registration card which will show his date of birth and possibly the name of the comune where he was born. If you don't have an ancestry.com account, I would be happy to search the records for you.
Was your uncle fighting for the US or for Italy? WWI or WWII?
If he died fighting for Italy, you can probably find him listed here: http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... lture.aspx. Put his surname in the cognome field and click Aviva Ricerca (the other fields are nome=given name, anno di nascita = year of birth, luogo di nascita = city/village of birth). Scroll down to see the results; click the arrow in the last column to see the full results:
Nome = given name
Cognome = surname
Data di Nascita = date of birth, dd/mm/yyyy
Luogo di Nascita = place of birth
Luogo Sepoltura = place where interred/buried
Data Decesso = date of death, dd/mm/yyyy
Luogo Decesso = place of death
On the other hand, if he was a member of the US military, sites such as ancestry.com should have his draft registration card which will show his date of birth and possibly the name of the comune where he was born. If you don't have an ancestry.com account, I would be happy to search the records for you.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Searching
My uncle died in the US but I have since found that information.
Thank you so much, Carmine.
Thank you so much, Carmine.
