Please help with military record
Please help with military record
I tried to attach my document but got this message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." so I uploaded it to DropBox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlhsxt2ko62r2 ... rasco.docx I can read the top of the page with name, birth place, etc but I can't understand any of the handwriting at the bottom. I'm used to birth, marriage and death documents but have never seen a military one before. Thank you so much for your help!!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please help with military record
Hi Terry
I've tried to read this for you but not easy for me – am uncertain of military terms and writing tricky to decipher because of that.
Here is what I understand it possibly says under the heading “No 14 Decisioni”. I may have it wrong.
(Already or formerly) in the Finance Police branch of the military. I see the word “abili” - skilled.
Then it seems to say that he enlisted without medical examination (that was possibly needed) according to Article 57 of the RD 5 January 1908 …
Then it seems to be saying that a decision or an assignment was postponed (possibly) because there were still missing documents.
I think columns 16 and 17 is just confirming enrolment and assignment and I see the word "titoli" which I am reading as "security" . I haven't really looked at it too closely as I couldn't decipher too many words.
Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more exact interpretation/translation. I really only get the gist with unfamiliar text.
Angela
P.S. You must have somehow jumped the queue. I am still waiting for my document. Glad the system worked for you.
I've tried to read this for you but not easy for me – am uncertain of military terms and writing tricky to decipher because of that.
Here is what I understand it possibly says under the heading “No 14 Decisioni”. I may have it wrong.
(Already or formerly) in the Finance Police branch of the military. I see the word “abili” - skilled.
Then it seems to say that he enlisted without medical examination (that was possibly needed) according to Article 57 of the RD 5 January 1908 …
Then it seems to be saying that a decision or an assignment was postponed (possibly) because there were still missing documents.
I think columns 16 and 17 is just confirming enrolment and assignment and I see the word "titoli" which I am reading as "security" . I haven't really looked at it too closely as I couldn't decipher too many words.
Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more exact interpretation/translation. I really only get the gist with unfamiliar text.
Angela
P.S. You must have somehow jumped the queue. I am still waiting for my document. Glad the system worked for you.
Re: Please help with military record
Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please help with military record
You are very welcome. Yes it is a cool heirloom to have.TerryM wrote:Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.
I just now decided to use google translate to type in columns no 16 and 17. I don't usually like google translate because it distorts the meaning but this is what it said:
(1st Category 28 July 1908
Confermato arruolamento in 1st cat. ? assegnazione alla 3rd categoria per mancanza de titoli)
Translated to:
1st Category 28 July 1908
Confirmed enrollment in 1st cat. ? assignment to the 3rd category for lack of titles.
I was reading the word titoli as "security" but it obviously also means "titles"? Hopefully someone will confirm/negate
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please help with military record
You can also ask for a FOGLIO MATRICOLARE. I am not sure how much more information this would give. Someone else might know.TerryM wrote:Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.
I've just spotted the following which would be fantastic but it possibly doesn't apply to Pasquale:
ruolo matricolare (muster roll): the document that gives, in summary form, for every soldier, personal information (mother, father, height, identifying characteristics, profession, level of education, city of birth) and information regarding military service (promotions, special services, war campaigns, actions of merit, decorations, dispatches) until the soldier’s release. These documents (muster rolls, etc., are in order by matricola or ID number and are found in the state archives for ordinary soldiers and non-commissioned officers.
Just two more thoughts.
Angela
Re: Please help with military record
Angela - does the same office in Potenza keep the Foglio Matricolare?
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please help with military record
Yes it does. These are the documents I am currently waiting for.TerryM wrote:Angela - does the same office in Potenza keep the Foglio Matricolare?
Angela
Re: Please help with military record
If you are still interested, I try to explain, as far as I can and I know.
As Angela said, he had alrady been in the "Guardia di Finanza, ramo terra", that is, the part of armed forces that deals with payment of taxes. "ramo terra"means that he worked at land, as opposed to at sea.
He had already been examined when enrolled in the GdF, so he did not need a new medical examination.
He had probably requested to be sent in the 3rd category, that basically means, not serving in the army, except case of war; but his request, in the end, was rejected.
Third category was reserved for people having a difficult familiar situation (only child with only one living parent).
I do not have the exact rules for categories here now, but I hope that was clear and enough.
As Angela said, he had alrady been in the "Guardia di Finanza, ramo terra", that is, the part of armed forces that deals with payment of taxes. "ramo terra"means that he worked at land, as opposed to at sea.
He had already been examined when enrolled in the GdF, so he did not need a new medical examination.
He had probably requested to be sent in the 3rd category, that basically means, not serving in the army, except case of war; but his request, in the end, was rejected.
Third category was reserved for people having a difficult familiar situation (only child with only one living parent).
I do not have the exact rules for categories here now, but I hope that was clear and enough.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Please help with military record
Thank you PippoM!
