Italian Exit Document (Port of Departure)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Exit Document (Port of Departure)

Post by volpin »

Good day,

We are interested in documentation related to my Italian-born Great-Grand-Father (GGF), Giovanni or Giacomo VOLPIN.
When he arrived in Brazil (he settled in Pedreira in Sao Paulo state), they changed his name to the Portuguese version, João (that is why we do not know what the Italian version is).

VOLPIN is a typical name from the Veneto region in Northern Italy.
Most families with this surname live in or around the provinces of Padua and Rovigo.
On my GGF death certificate it states he was originally from Rovigo.

If his death certificate is correct, he died at 77 in 1932, meaning he was born in either 1854 or 1855.
We do not know when, and from which port he left Italy and where he arrived in Brazil.

We are on a bit of a dead end finding his birth certificate and/or baptism certificate.

So, now we will concentrate on trying to get the exit/emigration document issued and hopefully filed in the port of exit in (most likely northern) Italy. This might gives us some information where he came from and where he arrived in Brazil.

Larger ports in the north were/are Venice/Venezia and Genua/Genova.
Any ideas if there are any online databases from as early as 1860?

Thank you in advance
GGF Volpin - Ceregnano, Rovigo, Veneto
GGM Sartorato - Bovolenta, Padova, Veneto
GGF Lattari - Fuscaldo, Cosenza, Calabria
GGM Storchi - San Benedetto Po, Mantova, Lombardia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian Exit Document (Port of Departure)

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 7 Volpin listed as departing Genoa, Italy in 1888,1891,1892 and oddly enough one Angel Volpin 1949 to Argentina while the remaining 6 Fidenzio,Pietro,Sante,Luigi,Domenico and Giacinto immigrated to Sao Paulo, Brazil. http://www.ciseionline.it/KMS/inc_248.asp
You might also wish to see the source of information for Italy immigrants for various years at http://www.ciseionline.it/KMSdefault.asp Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The search for Volpin can be found at http://www.wow.com/volpin and at http://www.phonebookoftheworld.com/phon ... b-08334517
There are 68 Volpin listed in the telephone directory for Brazil

Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

As an aside, the surname VOLPIN is listed in the Italian surname Dictionary (De Felice, Emidio) as an alteration and derivation of the base surname Volpe. Peter
~Peter~
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

Cheers Peter, thanks a lot!

It is a very useful site, cisei. I have not seen it before.

The earliest Volpins on this list are Domenico and Sante in 1888.
However their names would logically not be changed into Joao, unless there was no link with the original Italian name.

In addition, on Joao Volpin's death certificate of 1932 it states he had been married in Campinas (in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil) "about 48 years ago" (this is what it literally states!), so around 1884 (1932 - 48).
I was hoping there was somebody with equivalent name of Joao in Italian that left Italy around 1878 - 1882.
The story goes that Joao met his wife Pascoa (Paschoa in Portuguese) Santolato or Saturato on the boat from Italy to Brazil.
The reason why we do not know her exact surname is because on Joao's death certificate she is called Santolato but on her son's death certificate (my grandfather Eugenio) she is called Saturato...

Another interesting fact is that my grandfather Eugenio, Joao's and Pascoa's 5th child (of 7), died in 1973, 70 years of age, meaning he was born around 1903. In 1903 we estimate my GGF Joao to already be 48 years of age.

One of my grand-fathers older brothers, Joao Romano Volpin was apparently a rather famous person in their home town of Pedreira (in Sao Paulo state), but nothing so far that could help me advance there either.

But, seeing that there are mistakes in surnames and spelling errors in documents, I am just wondering how accurate these documents were in Brazil at the end of the 19th / beginning of the 20th century.

Then, about The search for Volpin can be found at http://www.wow.com/volpin
I did not really see how WOW could help as it does not return anything, it just shows some social media pages, eBay, Amazon, Yahoo, etc.

Lastly, can you see whether Volpe is also a typical name from the Veneto region?
On his death certificate my GGF Joao is said to be originally from Rovigo (in the Veneto region)

Thanks for searching with me!

PS, my husband just told me that your hometown/residence is one founded by his ancestors, the Dutch.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Dutch influence in NYC is so very pronounced starting with the Hudson River and the communities that line the Hudson river towns with streets named after the Half Moon, Hendryck Hudson in full and in part avenues and the Tappan Zee Bridge joining the super highway to Canada. Nobody forgets New Amsterdam being changed to New York after the English Duke of York but every knows know that Peg Leg Peter Stuyvesant was its first Dutch founder and governor. Lastly The bridge to the entrance to NY Harbor is named after Giovanni Da Verrazano, the Italian explorer who first sailed into the harbor of NY and left his mark when the Dutch aware of his discovery floated into NY and settled here. Insofar as the wow website, you are supposed to type in VOLPIN name and anything named Volpin from scientists on down are identified to give the surname its lustre!! Don't forget VOLPINO also has its fans!! Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There were first Volpin arriving USA 1902 (born 1877 ); Brazil arriving 1891; Argentina arriving 1877 Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

From the Archivio storico del Distretto Militare di Padova e Rovigo province 1846 - 1902 Italian military registration goes by the birth year heres a couple entries. Do you have his parents names
on the his death certificate

VOLPIN Giovanni born 13/09/1859 PADOVA,PADOVA son of Giuseppe Volpin and Giuditta Raimondo

VOLPIN Giacomo born 15/04/1856 in ALBIGNASEGO,PADOVA son of Vincenzo Volpin and Gioseffa Morello

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Volpin I came across a Giovanni Volpi born 1854 and arrived in Boston, NY on 12/7/1883. The Giovanni Volpi age of 29 years is about 15 years younger than you described and the spelling is off but considering a French manifest it would be easy to see an error in spelling for an Italian name ending in a consonant. This is not quite what I would consider to be a find since I am hinging everything here on year of birth and first name Giovanni so that its not overlooked and can be dismissed with ease. Peter
~Peter~
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

Hi Marty,

Joao's (or better, Giovanni's or Giacomo') parents were Paolo (Paulo in Portuguese) Volpin and Teresa (Theresa in PT) Capato.

The two Volpin's born in 1856 and 1859 are certainly interesting. Padova is the province north of Rovigo, approx 50KM away. The parents' names do not match but I wonder whether people could have lied about it (if they had something to hide perhaps)?

Peter, I think spelling mistakes were quite common those days. For example Volpi, Volpini I would think are surnames with should not be dismissed.
In my grand father's death certificate they spelled it as Volpim...

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Mr & mrs Volpin...Did you guys checkout the http://www.hebrewsurnames.com which lists Catholic Volpin which might be worthy looking at? Peter
postscript:....I went back to capture the 10 or so names on the list VOLPIN as catholics in Brazil and it disappeared...I guess it was not supposed to be revealed for some reason or another??? Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I recaptured the page by putting in http://www.hebrewsurnames.com/VOLPIN so we are inbusiness as it were. The 9 listings, however, to Argentina from Italy and not Brazil as previously thought but reflect 7 places of birth as Italy , one in france and one unknown. Peter
~Peter~