Searching for our grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Heather1970

Searching for our grandfather

Post by Heather1970 »

Hi there. I don't know if anyone can help us. Shortly after my mother passed away my sister and I were made aware that our mothers actual father was Italian (he was a WW2 POW). I have been in touch with the international Red Cross and they gave us some information, as to where he was captured, what POW camps he was at (the last camp was in Wales where he met my grandmother), his parents name and address, army rank etc, but that's where it stops as because he wasn't named on my mothers birth certificate the Red Cross could do no more. my grandmother was engaged to him but broke it off when she realised she was pregnant (her parents put a stop to it). He didn't know about the pregnancy which makes this search slightly complicated as it could open a can of worms. We are desperate to find out more about our Italian heritage but don't know where to look next. Many thanks for reading this

Heather :)
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching for our grandfather

Post by jecullen3 »

Heather,

Welcome to the forum.

If you know your biological grandfather's name, family name, and his parents' names, as well as the town in Italy he is from, there is a great deal of information you might be able to find. I would recommend that you list all the particulars that you know on this forum. There are many very knowledgeable people on this web site who can lead you in the correct direction.

Good luck in your search!
Mary
Heather1970

Post by Heather1970 »

Thank you for your reply Mary, I'm a total novice at all this research so really don't know which way to turn next, here's all the information we have:

Francesco Gaudino
4.11.1920 in solopaca
Father : Michele
Mother : Maria

His army rank was Cap.Magg.
Army unit: Sirte Div. 70. Fant Rgt. 2. Bn. 1 Coy

Service number 15206

His family's address during the war was
Michele Gaudino
Via Bellaura
Solopaca (Benevento)

He possibly had a sister who was a nun and he also had a younger brother.

He was in 1Coy (company), 2nd battalion, 70th div infantry regiment and was over in Libya when he was captured in a place called Tobruk. He was then taken to wales( where he met our grandmother)

My grandmother gave me his name, And the additional information was given to me by the International Red Cross, who then told me that because Francesco wasn't named on my mothers birth certificate they were unable to help any more.

We have also joined a Solopaca group on Facebook and my sister has sent a message to the administrator of the page with the same details I have posted here. She has received this reply:

Dear Erica I have founded this notice for you:
Michele Gaudino (born Dec. 17, 1899)
father: Francesco (son of Matteo and Pasqualina Colella)
mother: Cattolica Cofrancesco (daughter of Michele and Beatrice Rapuano)

Michele married Maria Carmela Volpe January 5, 1920

Francesco Gaudino (born Nov. 4, 1920)
Father: Michele (son of Francesco)
Mother: Maria Carmela Volpe
Francesco received the Confirmation May 12, 1930.
Francesco Bride Rosa Sellaroli (daughter of Armando) January 7, 1951
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

So, it seems you know about his family.
What would you like to know, now? About his descendants, or about ancestors? :-)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Heather1970

Post by Heather1970 »

Hello Guiseppe

We would like to know everything about him, ancestors and descendants, also how would we find out if he was still alive (he would be 95 years old). My grandmother had a photo of him, which she gave to her sister for safe keeping, unfortunately this was lost many years ago, so we don't even know what he looks like. Any information would be gratefully received

Heather :)
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

As to ancestors, there are no available databases online for Solopaca.
This is the site for Solopaca parishes:

http://www.parrocchiesolopaca.it/

You might want to contact them to request info/documents about ancestors, starting from Michele backwards (I suggest you not to mention you are an "illegitimate" descendant).

As to descendants, according to Italian White Pages

www.paginebianche.it

there are still several Gaudino's in Solopaca.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Cliff1956

Post by Cliff1956 »

Maybe I can help you 🍀
Cliff1956

Post by Cliff1956 »

Hello, you're talking about my family 😕. I Knew my father was a POW in England Before getting married with my mother. But I did,t realize he had his own Life. I can help you to know him. Tell me if I'm right but you are my niece 😟. Strange 🙂. Contact me if you read this. My name is Maria Gaudino. Thanks.
Cliff1956

Post by Cliff1956 »

Mi dispiace di non avere ricevuto nessuna risposta riguardo alla mia richiesta. Mi sembrava che lei ricercasse il suo nonno che sarebbe il mio papà. Sono curiosa di conoscere una famiglia alla quale non mi aspettavo proprio.
Spero che leggerà questo messaggio.
Maria Gaudino
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

This is magical and beautiful! It is inspiring and warms my heart to read it. I wish nothing but the most joyous and happiest of reunions for your families!
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

Sorry--I just translated the last post :oops:
Cliff1956

Post by Cliff1956 »

Thanks for your reaction but it Was Not so magical because I didn’t receive any answer ☹️. I’m a little desappointed ☹️.
Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jean Galata »

Just read your post. have you tried DNA through 23 & Me. You might be able to find distant cousins that would prove your relationship to him.
Cliff1956

Post by Cliff1956 »

No I didn’t tried anything. Actually Heather1970 is trying to find her grand father who is my father regarding all THE informations she found. The only thing I would like is a contact with her in order to see a picture of her mother who should be my sister. Sorry for my english but I speak french and italian.
And unfortunatly she didn’t write anything after my first visit.
Hope she will read my answers someday.
Thanks for your writing.
Have a good day.
Maria