Giuseppe Lozito birth tranlation and handwriting help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Birth Record Antonia Lozito

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Birth No 117: Antonia Lozito
Grumo: 15 May 1858, 9 pm
Father: Rocco Lozito, 30 (1828), contadino, living Grumo
Mother: Maria Filomena Coladonato, Rocco's wife, 20 (1838), living Grumo
The new born was born in Grumo on 13 May 1858, 9 am, at their home Strada Buccieri, was presented by the father, and named Antonia.

Antonia was baptised in Grumo on 16 May 1858.

Then there is a side note saying that on 24 May 1902, No 46 in Grumo Appula she marries with Ruscigno Bonaventura??????? So she married a third time after Giuseppe Fanelli died in 1990.. (A little pointer: It always pays to find the original birth record and not completely trust the extracts in the allegati. (Sometimes the clerk makes errors in transcribing.) If you look at Antonia's birth extract there is no reference to this marriage, but there is on the original birth record which I've taken the translation from. 2nd pointer, always look closely at the side notes.)

Original birth record, which you had previously posted: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0


Here's the allegati for that third marriage: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043445

Thank you for all your kind words Jen. I really appreciate it. I really admire your tenacity and hard work - it's not easy looking through these records when you don't know the language and you are really catching on quick. I very much enjoy working with you. :D :D :D

I'm going to take another look through what's been written here in case I've missed responding to something. I'll probably be in and out a bit today but feel free to ask for anything to be translated and I'll do so in due course.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Death Record Filomena Coladonato

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This takes you back one more generation:

Death No 151: Filomena Caladonato
Grumo: 11 June 1867, 12 am
Filomena Caladonato died 7 am on 11 June 1867 in her home in this town, Strada Albicocca. She was 30 (1837), born/residing Grumo Appula, a contadina, and the daughter of Giambattista (Coladonato), and of Giulia ....(surname not given), and the wife of Rocco Lo Zito.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

So born circa 1835/1837 Grumo. It looks like her parents are still alive. I've kept links to the indices so I'll check later for Giambattista's death record. There weren't actually a lot of Coladonato's as I was going through the indices. Interesting surnames Colavito, Colantonio etc. I wonder if Rocco remarried? Something else to search. :) In case you haven't seen it yet, there is more info on my previous post here. I'll probably need to sign out now for a while.

Angela
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 196
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 02:38

Re: Giuseppe Lozito birth tranlation and handwriting help

Post by Jen5525 »

Angela...thanks so much for the kind words! I am learning slowly, but through help from people like you! Once I get started, I really get hooked :)

Thank you so much for the invaluable service you provide to this forum! You are such a kind and giving person. It is so nice to know you!

So it looks like Antonia had some really bad luck with husbands. To be on her third marriage before age 50...wow. poor thing. and she must have been widowed again as we have her passenger slip from 1921 (at age 62) where she was traveling with her nephew Rocco; they were traveling to the US to her daughter Olympia and son-in-law Nicola (who was also her nephew!).

You've given me some awesome lead to follow up!

Ciao! and mille grazie!!!
Jen
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Rocco Lozito Military/POW Thread

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 01:21 Birth No 611: Rocco Lozito (Rocco No 1)
Altamura: 15 Septemer 1884
Father: Giuseppe Lozito, of Grumo, 23 (1861), cocchiere, living Altamura.
Mother: Domenica Lucariello, Giuseppe's wife, cucitrice
Rocco born 4 am, 13 September 1884, via La Maggiore, No 30, presented and named Rocco.
Side Note: Married 26 October 1908, Index 142, Altamura – marries Caterina Panaro
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Angela
Hi Jen

Thank you for your last post and I was very happy to help. :D :D :D I have just been catching up with what's been happening on the forum and came across the following thread:

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... ture/39882

Have you seen it? It sounds like it could be the same Rocco Lozito. (Fantastic pic.) The poster might be someone you could liaise with re some loose ends?

Angela
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 196
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 02:38

Re: Giuseppe Lozito birth tranlation and handwriting help

Post by Jen5525 »

Hi Angela...thanks! It is the same Rocco. Denise was matched to me on Ancestry as a distant cousin and I've been trying to figure out how our paths cross. This thread is for her line(s) -- there may be link to mine at some point. She believed our lines might cross at Domenica Lucariello's mother, who she thought might be a Caesara Clemente married to a Saverio Lucariello (and I have a number of Clemente's in my tree). That's why I'm trying so hard to find Domenica's birth, death or marriage...

But....here's something really interesting. I've been going through index after index, basically looking at as many as the Lucariello's as I can find. I came across the death of an Anna Maria Lucariello (age 78) in 1895, father was Saverio and mother was Francesca Ciretti (?). Widow of Pietro (?).

However, at the bottom, one of the people testifying to the death is a Mariangelo Pallotta (age 34). If you remember from my thread on Anna Maria Colonna, she had 3 husbands, the first of which was Mariangelo Pallotta (the exact right age as the one in the current record).

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I feel like I might be closer to a breakthrough in tying the families together somehow...
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Giuseppe Lozito birth tranlation and handwriting help

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Jen5525 wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 00:16 Hi Angela...thanks! It is the same Rocco. Denise was matched to me on Ancestry as a distant cousin and I've been trying to figure out how our paths cross. This thread is for her line(s) -- there may be link to mine at some point. She believed our lines might cross at Domenica Lucariello's mother, who she thought might be a Caesara Clemente married to a Saverio Lucariello (and I have a number of Clemente's in my tree). That's why I'm trying so hard to find Domenica's birth, death or marriage...

But....here's something really interesting. I've been going through index after index, basically looking at as many as the Lucariello's as I can find. I came across the death of an Anna Maria Lucariello (age 78) in 1895, father was Saverio and mother was Francesca Ciretti/Ceretti (?). Widow of Pietro Squicciarini?

However, at the bottom, one of the people testifying to the death is a Mariangelo Pallotta (age 34). If you remember from my thread on Anna Maria Colonna, she had 3 husbands, the first of which was Mariangelo Pallotta (the exact right age as the one in the current record).

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I feel like I might be closer to a breakthrough in tying the families together somehow...
Just wanted to mention that: Re Mariangelo Pallotta, he is only a witness to the recording of the act of death into the register. Most of the times the witnesses to the act are not related. The same with the declarants. They are only declaring that the person is dead. It is possible that they witnessed the death, but not always so. Sometimes they are related and sometimes not. In a lot of the death records it actually says "brother of the deceased" or "nephew of the deceased" when they are family, but not always.

It sounds to me, from what you have written here, that maybe the other person isn't completely sure about some of the information they have (they possibly have not found the records to verify the information), and I think that is really great that you are going through the records, the way you are. When you have the records at your finger tips, like we do, it's the best way to conduct genealogy and keep your tree intact. :D :D :D

Angela :)
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 196
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 02:38

Re: Giuseppe Lozito birth tranlation and handwriting help

Post by Jen5525 »

thanks Angela. that information helps a lot. In the Scotland records (another part of my tree), the testifying/witness is usually related. I would imagine that they at least would know the person...so while not related per se, it does give credibility that the families may be connected in some way.

And yes, I think she is just starting on her tree, and with names repeating so often (there are a million Giuseppe Clemente's in Altamura it seems!), it is hard to tell who belongs to who. And I'm really motivated to show how we are related.

The Clemente in her tree was her Godfather, they grew up basically a few miles from where I did in New Jersey. None of the Clemente names are familiar to me at this point but there must be a connection; it is too coincidental!
Post Reply