We have recently found out that my dad's birth father was an Italian POW in Goole during WW2.
Dad was born in Doncaster Royal Infirmary on 15th June 1945. He was adopted in November 1945.
Dad was named Michael Steggall at birth, changed to Philip Siddall at adoption. His birth mother was Ada Steggall nee Penistone. Ada was married and her husband Leonard away at war. Ada already had a 6 year old daughter named Iris at the time of dad's birth. I realise this is a long shot as we don't even have a name, but any information or help would be much appreciated. Many Thanks in advance.
Searching for my Grandad Italian POW in Yorkshire WW2
-
Twinklyvix
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 23:35
Re: Searching for my Grandad Italian POW in Yorkshire WW2
Hallo, I have recently found that my grandfather had a child, a boy, when he was in UK during Ww2. He was an Italian prisoner in UK from 1942 to 1946. We have only a photo from him about that period, sent to his parents in Emilia Romagna. The stamp says 'CJ.64496 ARM POW CAMP 53 GREAT BRITAIN. I know that the girl who gave birth to that child was married and her husband at war. He was in that camp with his Friend Vito, from the same little village in Emilia Romagna, named Montiano, province of Forlì-Cesena. They were both working in a farm.
I don't know other details but that he came back to Italy after the end of the war and no one has ever told anything about this story, which now I want to study in deep.
I don't know if this can help you, because there are many of these stories. ...
Most important thing , his name: Vincenzo Sacchetti.
Thank you,
Elisa
I don't know other details but that he came back to Italy after the end of the war and no one has ever told anything about this story, which now I want to study in deep.
I don't know if this can help you, because there are many of these stories. ...
Most important thing , his name: Vincenzo Sacchetti.
Thank you,
Elisa