Joyce,
I'm not sure I'll request the delayed birth certificate because I need three documents with his date of birth. I only have 2. I have my dad's birth certificate which states his birthday as January 1926, Salvador's baptismal certificate which states his birthday as January 1918. The church where Salvador was baptized is no longer open. I'm pretty sure the building is still standing but not sure if anyone is still working there. I called the public records office yesterday and they couldn't find his (Salvador) marriage license. They have his divorce decree which may or may not help me. I'm going to drive over there next week and pick up the decree and see what it says.
Salvador didn't have any siblings. I think Maria was Joseph's sister. I may try and request Joseph's parents birth records and see if that will provide any information.
Do you know where I would request the DD-214?
Thanks for your help.
Julie
Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Julie,
Have you tried contacting the diocese to found out who has the records for the church?......Someone has them.....The Diocese could possible help get the records.
Here is the information on obtaining the DD-214. Does it apply? Was Salvador in the service?........I checked WWII enlistment records & couldn't find any Saccaro enlisted from LA.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/bldd214.htm
Joyce
Have you tried contacting the diocese to found out who has the records for the church?......Someone has them.....The Diocese could possible help get the records.
Here is the information on obtaining the DD-214. Does it apply? Was Salvador in the service?........I checked WWII enlistment records & couldn't find any Saccaro enlisted from LA.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/bldd214.htm
Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Joyce,
I spoke to the Catholic diocese this morning and they are looking but haven't called back. I will call again on Monday. I spoke to my grandmother and she said they were married at the Justice of the Peace and not a church. Since they weren't married in a church, I'm assuming that the records wouldn't be in a church?? She couldn't remember who married her or exactly where they were married but told me if anything comes to mind she'll let me know.
I think I ran across something on ancestry.com that said he was in the service in Georgia or Alabama. I'm wishing now I would have printed it out before cancelling my subsription!
. According to the link that you sent, it says I have to be next of kin(father, daughter, son, sister) but it doesn't have grandchild listed as one of the options. I am the next of kin that is still surviving so I thought that might be good enough. It says that I'll have to request an SF - 180 instead. Will send off for that and see what it tells me.
Thanks for the link!
Julie
I spoke to the Catholic diocese this morning and they are looking but haven't called back. I will call again on Monday. I spoke to my grandmother and she said they were married at the Justice of the Peace and not a church. Since they weren't married in a church, I'm assuming that the records wouldn't be in a church?? She couldn't remember who married her or exactly where they were married but told me if anything comes to mind she'll let me know.
I think I ran across something on ancestry.com that said he was in the service in Georgia or Alabama. I'm wishing now I would have printed it out before cancelling my subsription!
Thanks for the link!
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Julie,
No matter if they were married by JP or in a church, there should be a civil record of the marriage.
I did see the one who listed in Alabama, but are you sure it's the correct one (your Salvador lived in Alabama?).....There is at least one other Salvaor Saccaro living in 1930 (more...indexed with different sp?).
Where & when did he died? Was this info posted?......Could he have applied for a SS card/#?.......Would think this would be a good 3rd documentation.
Joyce
No matter if they were married by JP or in a church, there should be a civil record of the marriage.
I did see the one who listed in Alabama, but are you sure it's the correct one (your Salvador lived in Alabama?).....There is at least one other Salvaor Saccaro living in 1930 (more...indexed with different sp?).
Where & when did he died? Was this info posted?......Could he have applied for a SS card/#?.......Would think this would be a good 3rd documentation.
Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Joyce,
I called the Clerk of Court in Baton Rouge and spoke to 2 different people, both of which couldn't find the record. Still waiting on the diocese to call back. I really hope they had better luck finding the marriage record.
As for the military record. I assumed it was him. I know I shouldn't do that without proof but he seemed to drop off the face of the earth after my grandparents were divorced and I thought that might be him. They divorced in 1952 and were married in 1945 or 46.
Salvador died in April 22, 1976 in Falls, Texas. I don't know why he was in Texas but said his residence was Waco, Texas in Raleigh Hotel. Maybe vacation? It also says he died in the VA hosptal. Ah, ok I'm looking at his death certificate now. It says he was a veteran of WWII. If I can figure out how to use a scanner I'll post his death certificate for you to see and maybe you'll see something of interest that I just overlooked.
I will request the SS card. He does have a SS# on the death certificate so that should make it easier to request?
One other question: On my father's birth certificate it says Salvador's year of birth was 1926 but I've found more documentation that states it's actually 1918. Is it possible I could have this changed on my father's birth certificate?
Thank's for the help, Joyce!
Julie
I called the Clerk of Court in Baton Rouge and spoke to 2 different people, both of which couldn't find the record. Still waiting on the diocese to call back. I really hope they had better luck finding the marriage record.
As for the military record. I assumed it was him. I know I shouldn't do that without proof but he seemed to drop off the face of the earth after my grandparents were divorced and I thought that might be him. They divorced in 1952 and were married in 1945 or 46.
Salvador died in April 22, 1976 in Falls, Texas. I don't know why he was in Texas but said his residence was Waco, Texas in Raleigh Hotel. Maybe vacation? It also says he died in the VA hosptal. Ah, ok I'm looking at his death certificate now. It says he was a veteran of WWII. If I can figure out how to use a scanner I'll post his death certificate for you to see and maybe you'll see something of interest that I just overlooked.
I will request the SS card. He does have a SS# on the death certificate so that should make it easier to request?
One other question: On my father's birth certificate it says Salvador's year of birth was 1926 but I've found more documentation that states it's actually 1918. Is it possible I could have this changed on my father's birth certificate?
Thank's for the help, Joyce!
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Julie,
I would think the records would be in Orleans County, not Baton Rouge County. ??????????
Copy of the SS application is $27.00 with the number & $29.00 without.
Send to:
Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022
Here is the information on WWII enlistment in Alabama.
Name: Salvador G Saccaro
Birth Year: 1918
Race: White, citizen
Enlistment Date: 6 Jan 1941
Enlistment State: Alabama
Enlistment City: Montgomery
Branch: Infantry
Branch Code: Infantry
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 3 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Tracktor Driver* or Truck Driver, Heavy or Chauffeur or Truck Driver, Light An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 62
Weight: 111
As for question on changing the birth certificate, I really don't know. My guess would be no.
Joyce
I would think the records would be in Orleans County, not Baton Rouge County. ??????????
Copy of the SS application is $27.00 with the number & $29.00 without.
Send to:
Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022
Here is the information on WWII enlistment in Alabama.
Name: Salvador G Saccaro
Birth Year: 1918
Race: White, citizen
Enlistment Date: 6 Jan 1941
Enlistment State: Alabama
Enlistment City: Montgomery
Branch: Infantry
Branch Code: Infantry
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 3 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Tracktor Driver* or Truck Driver, Heavy or Chauffeur or Truck Driver, Light An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 62
Weight: 111
As for question on changing the birth certificate, I really don't know. My guess would be no.
Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Joyce that must be him in Alabama otherwise it's a huge coincidence.
He was born in 1918, was shorter than me (I'm 63 inches), middle name George. In 1941 he would have been 23 yrs old and my grandmother remembers him being 26 or 27 when they were married in 1945 or 46.
I'm going to send off for that SF 180 and hopefully it will give me some information.
I'll also send off for the SS card for the 3rd document. It can only help with my quest!
I'll look into the changing of the birth certificate. I really would like all the info that I obtain to be correct. I know that maybe not everything will be correct but I'd like to change the things I can. One day when or if my great great great grandchildren show an interest into my family the search will be a lot easier for them.
If you can think of anything else I should look into, please let me know. I'm still very new to searching for my family history.
Thanks,
Julie
He was born in 1918, was shorter than me (I'm 63 inches), middle name George. In 1941 he would have been 23 yrs old and my grandmother remembers him being 26 or 27 when they were married in 1945 or 46.
I'm going to send off for that SF 180 and hopefully it will give me some information.
I'll also send off for the SS card for the 3rd document. It can only help with my quest!
I'll look into the changing of the birth certificate. I really would like all the info that I obtain to be correct. I know that maybe not everything will be correct but I'd like to change the things I can. One day when or if my great great great grandchildren show an interest into my family the search will be a lot easier for them.
If you can think of anything else I should look into, please let me know. I'm still very new to searching for my family history.
Thanks,
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
I have great news!!! A few weeks ago I called my grandmother and spoke to her about her and Salvador's marriage certificate and she said she couldn't find it. When she left him she left everything but her son (my father). Well, last night my aunt called her in a panic because she lost her birth certificate. My grandmother said she would look in some of her paperwork for it and when she did she found her marriage certificate to my grandfather!!
I have found another clue into my family and am thrilled. I'm going to get the certificate today and hopefully it will tell me something I haven't yet found out, like where he was born!
Anyway, I just wanted to share this great news with all of you because everyone has been so helpful to me.
So my next goal is to hopefully locate his birth certificate and get my great grandfathers birth certificate from Italy.
I have found another clue into my family and am thrilled. I'm going to get the certificate today and hopefully it will tell me something I haven't yet found out, like where he was born!
Anyway, I just wanted to share this great news with all of you because everyone has been so helpful to me.
So my next goal is to hopefully locate his birth certificate and get my great grandfathers birth certificate from Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Julie,
That is great news!
Hopefully it will provide the town information.....Keep us posted. I have my fingers crossed!
Joyce
That is great news!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
So I got the marriage certificate last night from my grandmother. Turns out they obtained the marriage license in West Feliciana Parish but were married in East Baton Rouge Parish. That explains why I couldn't find the license in East Baton Rouge or Orleans Parishes. It doesn't have any information on the certificate that I didn't already know other than the correct Parish.
I am thinking of taking a trip up to West Feliciana Parish courthouse tomorrow and see if they have any additonal information they can provide for me like where he was born... Getting closer....
Julie
I am thinking of taking a trip up to West Feliciana Parish courthouse tomorrow and see if they have any additonal information they can provide for me like where he was born... Getting closer....
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Julie,
Sounds like a great idea. You have nothing to lose. Let us know how you make out!
Sounds like a great idea. You have nothing to lose. Let us know how you make out!



