Italian Surnames

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Italian Surnames

Post by jcsm400 »

I am wondering if there is or was an Italian custom that gave males in a family one spelling of the surname & another spelling to all the females.

I have found this on birth acts in a family from the Napoli area.

All males under Pagone. All females are Paone.

Has anyone else come across this same thing?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Italian Surnames

Post by wldspirit »

I had read somewhere, and for the life of me, I cannot remember where...... :roll: .......of male surname variations.........but not female variations.........Suanj, Riccardo or one of our Italian residents would know......
wldspirit
Post Reply