Hello, everyone!
I am new to the forum, but I am hoping someone might give me a hint of how to proceed next. I have extensive records from my great grandmother's side of the family, but I am stuck on my great grandfather.
I am searching for my great grandfather, Pio Pierucci. I would like to find his birth certificate and comune in Italy.
Here is what I know about Pio:
Parents: Pietro Pierucci and Nicolina Nofri (according to his marriage certificate in Ohio, USA)
Spouse: Giulia Liguori
Birthdate: July 2, 1877 (the birth year varies between 1875-1879 on different USA documents)
Birthplace: Massa Carrara, Italy (consistent on USA documents)
Records I have searched:
Familysearch.org’s Massa birth records from 1873-1883 for Pio. They are missing 1879.
Familysearch.org’s Massa death records from 1873-1883 for Nicolina Nofri/Pierucci.
I am hesitant to write to the town officials in Massa because I am not certain that it was in that comune. It seems that Massa Carrara is a province. My extended family insists that Pio never celebrated his birthday because his mother died in childbirth with him. I have not been able to prove or disprove this piece of family lore either.
Thanks!
Julie
Finding birth comune
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Finding birth comune
There is a post on my website about finding the town of origin you might find helpful
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
- TerraLavoro
- Elite

- Posts: 398
- Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
- Location: California
Re: Finding birth comune
Looks like Pio naturalized in Illinois in 1923. You could contact USCIS genealogy https://www.uscis.gov/genealogy to request the full set of his naturalization papers. Most likely his accurate town of origin, and date of arrival (so you can also find the ship manifest) will be in that set of records.
Attaching the naturalization index card FYI.
Attaching the naturalization index card FYI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TerraLavoro
-
GLiguori77
- Newbie

- Posts: 24
- Joined: 01 Dec 2019, 18:50
Re: Finding birth comune
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I have ordered the full set of the USCIS docs for Pio. He's just a tricky guy to pin down.