Two odd middle names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Two odd middle names

Post by stfrancis »

My great grandfather named one of his sons, born in NY in the 1870's, with the middle names "Julius Eugenius".

The only historical reference I find is (Marcus) Julius Eugenius who was soldier in Pisidia and became a bishop in the early christianity period in Laodicea (modern-day Turkey).

But I have no idea if this has any significance, genealogical or otherwise? I was thinking if anyone has any thoughts about this odd naming I would be interested in hearing from you. I can definitely say I have never seen such a naming style in the dozens of (Italian) names I researched :shock:
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Two odd middle names

Post by Biff83 »

Curious he gave him Latin names. Did you find his name on a baptismal act or a civil birth act in NY?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Biff,

Thanks.
It is the baptismal names written in the register by the Italian church (which the church there often used a combination of Latin and english spellings forming the parts of the complete name), but in his lifetime he used the name Michael.

Epitaph:
JuliusEugeniusEpitaph(1).JPG
JuliusEugeniusEpitaph(2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
continuo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by continuo »

To date, no one has been able to prove a DFA (descent from antiquity). Our 19th century ancestors would have faced the same roadblocks that we do. So that historical reference probably isn't going to be very useful to you.

I would try and check if the italianized versions of those two names have antecedents in your lineage explainable through italian naming tradition. If not, well then as now, people sometimes give their kids odd names.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

stfrancis,

I agree with the above post; I do not believe he was named for someone from antiquity, just Giulio Eugenio which in Latin used on baptismal records would be Julius Eugenius.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"