Meaning of last name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rp76226
Master
Master

Meaning of last name

Post by rp76226 »

I've been told by my late father that the surname Puma means apple in Italian. However, my English-Italian dictionary translates apple as pomo and mela, while Google Translate only lists mela as the translation for apple. There are many dialects in Italy and my family is from Sicily so maybe in Sicilian the translation of the word apple is different. However, I cannot find a Sicilian translation program. I have an old note (source unknown) that says pumu translates to apple and that puma is the plural of pumu. I've also seen civil records where the Pomo surname gets changed to Puma for the birth or marriage or death of new descendants. Hoping that someone can verify what is true and what isn't concerning the Puma and Pomo surnames. Note - I've also seen the surname Poma become Puma in newer generations.

Ron
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of last name

Post by darkerhorse »

The "Sicilian-English/English-Sicilian Dictionary & Phrasebook" by Joseph F. Privitera (2003) translates pummu as apple (masculine noun).
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Pumadoru is tomato.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thanks for your help. I just searched and found on the internet a Sicilian translation of puma and it came up as meaning apple. Pomo and Poma had no Sicilian translation.

https://glosbe.com/scn/en/puma