New York Police charges & criminal courts

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

New York Police charges & criminal courts

Post by stfrancis »

Hi everyone

Trying to locate any other documentation relating to the attached stabbing in NYC in 1902.
I only found 2 articles, the same, in the newspapers. It is possible no court case exists, but I doubt it.

My understanding is that typically this would be, if in trial, in the criminal court of General Sessions in NYC or possibly a police charge in the NYC department of records

So far I have reached out to NYPL, the NYC Dept Records (which is very complicated to deal with), NY State Archives, and the http://guides.lib.jjay.cuny.edu/SpecialCollections

I have had no luck in locating relevant indexes, and its difficult because there is no mention about which court applies (which is the starting point to finding records) and no follow up articles....

I would appreciate if there is anyone here who has any ideas or experience in having researched police or criminal court records, either systematically or otherwise in NYC....or at least how to go about it

Additional thoughts are to do a FOIL request to the NYC police dept, or contacting the various NY court archives, but I don't think they keep archives that far back in their system....

(I find it hard to believe few records or indexes were kept by 1902, in NYC city !)
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.