Translation help Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Translation help Birth Record

Post by deigo1 »

Hello can someone help with the birth translation of Calogero Scardina. Additionally, I saw some other names towards the bottom of the record I was wondering if these might be grandfather's names possibly. If there are any notations of towns they are from (nato) as well. It seems like with the southern records they weren't as stationary as the north records town wise.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

Thanks!
D.
bbivona
Master
Master

Re: Translation help Birth Record

Post by bbivona »

No other relatives or other towns named.

September 2, 1870, comune offices in Castelbuono, before local officials, appeared Maria Scialabba, daughter of Filippo Scilabba, age 54, midwife, who presented a male child and reported that it was born on September 1 at 6 p.m. to Concetta Sasso, daughter of deceased Giuseppe Sasso, age 24, and Gaspare Scardina, son of Virgilio, age 30, a laborer, domiciled in Castelbuono. The child was born in their home and was given the name of Calogero Scardina.

The declaration was made before witnesses who were local residents and two copies were made. It was only signed by the commune officer because the declarant and the witnesses were illiterate.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Thank you! Do you think the last name of Concetta could be Naso? I just recently found the marriage certificate of Calogero and its more clear than the older record here.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

Yes, I definitely agree with Naso. After seeing the second record and reviewing it, Naso is the surname. Sorry about that - not the clearest handwriting.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra