Chioggia and Chiusa Records

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
bobalico

Chioggia and Chiusa Records

Post by bobalico »

Good morning,

I am helping a friend with their family history. As of a 1902 parish census, their great grandfather, Eustacchio Veronese, lived in Veli Lošinj (present-day Croatia). He had children there in 1895, 1896 and 1900. However, the Veli Lošinj parish census states that he was the son of (the deceased) Vincenzo Veronese and was born in Chioggia on 25 Jul 1864. Additionally, Eustacchio came to New York in 1900. At that time, the passenger manifest listed his residence as Chiusa, Italy. Both the parish census and the manifest state that he worked as a sailor.

Unfortunately, Veli Lošinj parish records for 1858-1902 are missing from Croatia's archives, so I am unable to locate Eustacchio's children's baptisms there or his marriage. The parish census is all we have. I noticed on Family Search that Chioggia civil records are not available until 1871. (See link at the bottom.) Would anyone on this forum know how to request, or where to look for, baptismal records for Chioggia for 1864? Since there were no civil records that year, I thought to look for Eustacchio's baptism. Additionally, if Eustacchio lived in Chiusa around 1900, would you know where to look for records of his residence there (i.e., censuses, etc.)? Perhaps the family had a residence there or he was working there (or went back and forth between Veli Lošinj and Chiusa).

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you could provide regarding where to look for records -

Best regards,
Amanda
giofol

Re: Chioggia and Chiusa Records

Post by giofol »

Hello, I'm pretty sure that's him: https://leva.archiviodistatovenezia.it/ ... ca/348533/

I don't know if you're still looking for him though, it's been a while.