Translation of Birth Record - Isabella Napoli

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of Birth Record - Isabella Napoli

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

Hello! I have made another attempt to translate a birth record. Can someone review and confirm I interpreted it correctly? Thank you

Name: Isabella Napoli
Page 316

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 59/LaqA7zD

My attempted translation:

Province of Trapani, Municipality of Marsala, Civil Status Office, Extract from the register of birth certificates of Napoli Isabella, N. 744.

In The year one thousand nine hundred and one, on the twelth day of May, at nine o'clock and fifty minutes (a.m.), in the Municipal House. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on 31 July 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Giorgio Napoli, twenty-eight, cooper, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at four o'clock (a.m.) on the ninth of the current month, in the house located in Villa Pioppo, no number given, by Amato Francesca, his wife, domiciled with him. A female child was born who he showed to me, and to whom he gave the name Isabella.

Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Castoro Emmanuele, aged thirty, carter, and Mannone Gio Antonio, aged thirty-nine, fishmonger, both residents of this municipality.

Having read this document to those present, they all said they did not know how to write, so it was signed by me only.

The Official: P. Pugliese
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Isabella Napoli

Post by liviomoreno »

It sounds ok!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 09:19 It sounds ok!

Ciao Livio

Hope all is well. I looked at this yesterday and just noticed a couple of things.

Angela

Road2Gandolfo wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 06:56 Hello! I have made another attempt to translate a birth record. Can someone review and confirm I interpreted it correctly? Thank you

Name: Isabella Napoli
Page 316

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 59/LaqA7zD

My attempted translation:

Province of Trapani, Municipality of Marsala, Civil Status Office, Extract from the register of birth certificates of Napoli Isabella, N. 744.

In The year one thousand nine hundred and one, on the twelth day of May, at nine o'clock and fifty minutes (a.m.), in the Municipal House. Before me, Paolo Pugliese, Secretary at the third division, delegated by an Act on 31 July 1892 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Giorgio Napoli, twenty-eight, cooper, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at four o'clock (a.m.) on the ninth of the current month, in the house located in Via Pioppo, no number given, to or from Amato Francesca, his wife, domiciled with him, a female child was born who he showed to me, and to whom he gave the name Isabella.

Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Castoro Emmanuele, aged thirty, carter, and Mannone Gio Antonio, aged thirty-nine, fishmonger, both residents of this municipality.

Having read this document to those present, they all said they did not know how to write, so it was signed by me only.

The Official: P. Pugliese

Re "born by" which you keep using. We don't say that in English. We would use the word "by" when we are talking about the method of birth "born by natural means" or "born by C-Section" but we don't say "born by the mother". Probably mostly used would be "born to" but I generally say "born from" because that's what I understand it is saying in the txt.

Good catch on "fishmonger".

Angela
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

Thank you for clarifying "born by". That never sounds right to me and your explanation now clarifies it. Thank you again for you help. Have a great day
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Road2Gandolfo wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 21:26 Thank you for clarifying "born by". That never sounds right to me and your explanation now clarifies it. Thank you again for you help. Have a great day

Glad my explanation helped. You have a good day too.

Angela