Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
CaptainCatholic
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 222
Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31

Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by CaptainCatholic »

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well!

I'm doing some research on my Sicilian family ancestry from the town of Campofelice di Roccella (formerly Campofelice).

I have two uncles living there at that point in time:

1) Don Salvatore Civello, who was married to Donna Innocenzia Ruggieri
2) Don Filippo Civello, who was married to Donna Mariannina Palito

Don Salvatore Civello and Donna Innocenzia Ruggieri had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Genuelfa Civello (born in 1842). Genuelfa's Birth Record can be found on Page 18 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 85/Lp1V7Q1 They had many children born in Campofelice di Roccella after 1842, but Genuelfa was the first from what I can tell.

Likewise, Don Filippo Civello and Donna Mariannina Palito had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Rosa Civello (born in 1844). Rosa's Birth Record can be found on Page 11 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 88/Lp1VqAV They had many children born in Campofelice di Roccella after 1844, but Rosa was the first from what I can tell.

Strangely, I cannot find the marriage record for Don Salvatore Civello and Donna Innocenzia Ruggieri, nor for Don Filippo Civello and Donna Mariannina Palito. I searched the years 1844 back to 1820 (as far back as records go), but nothing turns up!

I'm wondering if both of them moved to Campofelice from some other town, and that is why I can't find a marriage record for them in Campofelice di Roccella? But the thing is, I have a lot of other "Civello" family members in Campofelice di Roccella, all born there, all with the titles of "Don" and "Donna," so I'd think they're related.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much,
Tony
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by mmogno »

CaptainCatholic wrote: 25 Feb 2026, 18:12 ...

Likewise, Don Filippo Civello and Donna Mariannina Palito had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Rosa Civello (born in 1844). Rosa's Birth Record can be found on Page 11 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 88/Lp1VqAV They had many children born in Campofelice di Roccella after 1844, but Rosa was the first from what I can tell.

Promise of Marriage #8, 11 October 1840
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/5BAQEby

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/5Yg6MDg

In Termini
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 77/5BVNgDZ

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 40/LqOXPWR

Processetti
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 04/Lz8OMN9

...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by mmogno »

CaptainCatholic wrote: 25 Feb 2026, 18:12 ...

Don Salvatore Civello and Donna Innocenzia Ruggieri had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Genuelfa Civello (born in 1842). Genuelfa's Birth Record can be found on Page 18 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 85/Lp1V7Q1 They had many children born in Campofelice di Roccella after 1842, but Genuelfa was the first from what I can tell.

Promise of Marriage #10, 8 November 1840
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/wjdYnmr

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/5x6k1Pg

In Collesano

Marriage 14 March 1841
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 39/5VRG2rE

Processetti
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 22/Lp9A2lq

...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by mmogno »

CaptainCatholic wrote: 25 Feb 2026, 18:12 ...
Don Salvatore Civello and Donna Innocenzia Ruggeri had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Genueffa Civello (born in 1842). Genueffa's Birth Record can be found on Page 18 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 85/Lp1V7Q1
...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
CaptainCatholic
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 222
Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by CaptainCatholic »

mmogno wrote: 25 Feb 2026, 22:47
CaptainCatholic wrote: 25 Feb 2026, 18:12 ...

Don Salvatore Civello and Donna Innocenzia Ruggieri had a number of children who were born in Campofelice di Roccella, starting with Genuelfa Civello (born in 1842). Genuelfa's Birth Record can be found on Page 18 here: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 85/Lp1V7Q1 They had many children born in Campofelice di Roccella after 1842, but Genuelfa was the first from what I can tell.

Promise of Marriage #10, 8 November 1840
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/wjdYnmr

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 12/5x6k1Pg

In Collesano

Marriage 14 March 1841
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 39/5VRG2rE

Processetti
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 22/Lp9A2lq

...
Hi mmogno! WOW!!!! This is absolutely amazing!!! Thank you so, so much for finding the marriage processetti as well as the notificazioni for both Don Filippo and Don Salvatore!

This is so helpful - I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!

This is also a huge learning experience for me - I honestly didn't know what the "Matrimoni, memorandum notificazioni ed opposizioni" records on Antenati even were. After looking into it, I guess they are simply the "postings" the Church made to notify everyone in the town that the given people were about to marry, correct?

I never bothered to consult these files, I've only ever used the "Matrimoni" records. But it looks like the brides in both marriages were born in other towns (Termini and Collesano), and so the marriage records themselves were never written in Campofelice di Roccella, but in Termini and Collesano instead.

I assume this was rare, and generally only happened in upperclass marriages (i.e. both Filippo and Salvatore were titled, "Don") - perhaps these were arranged marriages?

Everyone else in my ancestry were "peasants" haha, so I've never encountered this problem before!

Again, thank you so very much for taking the time to look these up for me - so appreciated!!!!
~Tony
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by mmogno »

The purpose of marriage banns is to ensure that there are no impediments to the marriage for either of the betrothed parties. In this case, this essentially means that the betrothed must not be currently married or too closely related. For this reason, the banns are published in the places where the spouses are known, i.e. reside, have resided, or were born. Even though the two Civello siblings did not marry in Campofelice di Roccella, the banns must also have been published there, as that is where they lived. This is why it is useful to also search for them in the registers of notifications and oppositions of the Municipality of Campofelice.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
CaptainCatholic
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 222
Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31

Re: Help finding marriage record? (Campofelice di Roccella, 1830s)

Post by CaptainCatholic »

mmogno wrote: 28 Feb 2026, 15:50 The purpose of marriage banns is to ensure that there are no impediments to the marriage for either of the betrothed parties. In this case, this essentially means that the betrothed must not be currently married or too closely related. For this reason, the banns are published in the places where the spouses are known, i.e. reside, have resided, or were born. Even though the two Civello siblings did not marry in Campofelice di Roccella, the banns must also have been published there, as that is where they lived. This is why it is useful to also search for them in the registers of notifications and oppositions of the Municipality of Campofelice.

Ah, I see now - thank you so much for the explanation, mmogno, I sincerely appreciate it! I will definitely need to start consulting the banns. Thank you again!
Post Reply