I'm a bit confused about where to obtain a copy of an Italian Marriage certificate for a wedding performed in a Catholic church. Is the certificate issued by the parish the official one for a religious wedding or is there also another official legal certificate available from the stato civile?
It would be great if anyone could clear this up. Thanks in advance.
Italian Marriage Certificates
- micheleantonio
- Newbie

- Posts: 14
- Joined: 26 Oct 2005, 00:00
- Location: Los Angeles
Re: Italian Marriage Certificates
If they did register with the civil authorties it would be listed at the Stato de Civile, sometimes appended to the birth certificate of the woman if she is is fact from the comune where the marriage took place. I am not sure who issues the actual certificate.
Hope that helps.
michele
Hope that helps.
michele
Re: Italian Marriage Certificates
I have obtained mine from the civil records office: Ufficio dello Stato Civile of the comune.
Anthony
Anthony
Re: Italian Marriage Certificates
Hello,clara wrote:I'm a bit confused about where to obtain a copy of an Italian Marriage certificate for a wedding performed in a Catholic church. Is the certificate issued by the parish the official one for a religious wedding or is there also another official legal certificate available from the stato civile?
It would be great if anyone could clear this up. Thanks in advance.
marriage certificate can be issued by Ufficio di Stato civile, church marriage certificate is issued by the church.
That one issued by Stato civile has a legal value
I hope it helps.
bye Riccardo

