Looking for PEZZELLA/FARRARA/SERULLO surnames from Avellino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mobilehome

Looking for PEZZELLA/FARRARA/SERULLO surnames from Avellino

Post by mobilehome »

The family name that I am researching in Italy is Pezzella. I believe they came from Avellino, but that is all that I know. Some family member mentioned Montagusto, Avellino and it is also on a Ship manefest when they came to the USA. First names are Donato Rocco Pezzella, son of Anthony Pezzella and Irene (Farrara) Pezzella. Donato came to USA in 1904 with his father they then returned to Italy and Donato married Marie Giovanna Serlucco. He came back to the USA and she and two daughters followed in 1922.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank you
Mobilehome
Marlborough, MA
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Looking for PEZZELLA/FARRARA/SERULLO surnames from Avel

Post by Biff83 »

Question: Is the surname Serullo or Serlucco?

Posted this in the locations section.
Could the town have been Montaguto without the "s"?

Map of Avellino showing Montaguto in top center.

http://www.italycyberguide.com/Geograph ... llinop.htm

Can you link the ship manifests you've found?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
mobilehome

Post by mobilehome »

Biff83:
Yes the town would be Montaguto without the s. The surname is spelled Serlucco.

I do not know how to link the ship maifests I am luck I can type and send messages.

Mobilehome
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi mobilehome,

Here are the possible manifests you are referring to.

Ellis Island Manifest

First Name: Rocco
Last Name: Pizzella
Ethnicity: Italy Italian So.
Last Place of Residence: Montaquto, Italy
Date of Arrival: Mar 22, 1920
Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Dante Alighieri
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0012

Wife mentioned is Maria.

Rocco travels with his brother Leonardo, and would be joining his brother Gennaro at 1089 Chestnut Street, Boston.

1920 Manifest

Page 2

Would this be the correct manifest you speak of?

---------------------------

Here is Maria Giovanna Serluca's manifest. She travels with her 2 daughters Addolorata and Giuseppina.

Maria Giovanna's mother is listed as Angela Carrozza as the nearest relative in Italy.

They would be joining Rocco Pezzella living at 1089 Chestnut St. Newton, MA

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about M Giovanna Serluca

Name: M Giovanna Serluca
Arrival Date: 6 Jun 1921
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
Ethnic Background: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Rocco Pezzella
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Avellino, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 267

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.

Boston Manifest Page 1

Boston Manifest Page 2

Hope this helps some!
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mobilehome

Post by mobilehome »

Dear Biff83 and Brujaojosand Valarie:
You are all correct that is Donato Rocco and his brother Leonardo coming back to Boston to live with his father Anthony in Newton, MA. And Marie and the two daughters join him the following year. But Donato Rocco did come earlier in 1904 which I have from Ancestory.Com. I could not find the 1920 listing of his return to the US. And I thank you for that.

Is there any way I can trace them back to their village? Either by his name or by his wife's name. I would like to see if I can find any other relatives that lived in Montaguto. Are there any census for that area in an earlier year than 1904? I would like to see if I can find his Mother and Father and any other siblings of his in a census. Is that a possibility or am I reaching for the Stars?
Mobilehome
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

You can do the research yourself for the Family History Center does have microfilm for the town. On the films you can find copies of the birth, marriage, and death records of your ancestors. The films cost $5.75 a roll. Here is the link to the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... eno=409784

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

And just in case you want to write to the town directly for records, here is the address.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Montaguto
Corso Umberto I, 3
83030 Montaguto AV
ITALY

Don't forget to send a copy of a photo ID like your driver's license and 2 IRC's (International Reply Coupons) that you can get from the Post Office for $1.80 each.

Here is a link from ICC that will help you translate your letter into Italian.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Here is a link called Pagine Bianche which is a telephone directory. You can see if there are still people in the town with your surname.
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Here is the official web site of the town.
http://www.comune.montaguto.av.it/

Hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mobilehome

Post by mobilehome »

Trish:
Thank you for that information, unfortunately I do not speak or read Italian. I tried the web page with the telephone directory and it was all in italian, also the films from Family Search are in Italian which would not help me as I again do not read or speak Italian. So I guess unfortunately my search will have to stop were I have it do to the inability to comprehend the language.

I thank you for all of your information I will hold on to it in hopes that I can get someone to translate for me.
Mobilehome
Gail
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

To use Pagine:

cognome=surname
dove=town
cerca=search

this will bring up the surnamed persons with address and telephone number, if interested there is a potential relative letter that may also be sent out......

As for the microfilms, you only need to know certain terms to find your way thru them:

Here is an Italian Genealogical word list:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Gail,

Listen to me! Even though the microfilm is in Italian, you still can get by and conduct the research yourself. You are basically looking for a surname which you will be able to read and then just match up the parents' names, etc.

Plus, everyone here is willing to help and there are several posts with translations on them that you can use as a guideline.

Also, Wldspirit posted the translation in order to use the telephone directory. She also posted the link from LDS web site that give you words and their translations. (Thank you Wldspirit). :) All this will help you with your conducting your research.

A good book to get that is very easy to use and simple to read is called, "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors", by Lynn Nelson.

I also suggest that you get a Genealogy Software Program like the PAF (Personal Ancestral File) which is free on the LDS web site. It at the bottom right hand corner. You register yourself and then download the program. It's free and simple to use. Here is the link!

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

Then you start typing in the information you know starting with yourself and work backwards. Once you reach your Italian ancestors, check the dates of birth and see if there is microfilm for that year. If there is, then order it. On the microfilm you will get a copy of the exact document which could be 100 years old. It will be filled with information. It's much better than the "extraction" record from Italy.

Also, don't worry, don't be scared! You can do it and we can help you! And the volunteers at the Family History Centers can help you some too. So try it. If not, you can always mail your request to Italy.

Keep us posted to how you make out!

Try to smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Trish....somewhere buried in this maze of links I have, there is a site which gives examples of documents....but I can't seem to find it right off hand..... :? Would be great to give an actual example and tutorial..... :wink: "hint - hint"

wldspirit

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Wldspirit and everyone,

Wlspirit, great picture. It's always nice to place a face with a name. I should link my picture too!:)

Here is your request about documents and translations. Now remember, each town's documents could be slightly different. Some towns add information and notations and some end the last paragraph differently. All you really need is the body of the document for that's where the information is located.

Here is the Italian Version of a 1900 Birth Act:
L'anno millenovecento, addi ________ di ________ a ore ____ ante/po meridiane ________ a minuti ________, nella Casa Comunale.

Avanti di mi _____________________________________________.

Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di _____________________,

e comparso ______________________, di anni _________________, _______________, domiciliato in ______________________ i quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore ____________________ antemeridian/pomeridian ___________ e minuti _________, del di __________ del ________ mese, nella casa posta in Via _________________ al numero ______________, da ______________________ suo moglie di anni _________, _____________

è nato un bambino di sessa mascolino/feminina che egli mi presenta, e a cui da i nome di

A quanto sopra e a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni ______________________ di anni ______________________ ______________________ e ______________________ di anni ______________________ ______________________ entrambi residenti in questo Comune.

Letto il presente atto a tutti gli interesenti viene sottoscritto dal dichiarante a da me soltanto, avendo i testimoni asserato non saper scrivare

signatures

----------

English Translation of a 1900 Birth Act:

In the year one thousand nine hundred (Year), of the day (day), of the (month), at the hour (hour)ante/post meridian, and minute (minute number), in the Town House.

Before me (Mayor’s name or Councilman’s writing the information name), and the Official of Vital Records of the Town of (Town's Name), and appeared (Father’s Name or Midwife’s Name), of age (age), (occupation), residing in (Town’s Name), who has introduced at the hour (hour), ante/post meridian, and minute (minute), of the day (date), of the (month or the word “currentâ€
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mobilehome

Post by mobilehome »

Dear Wldspirt and Trish
I can't begin to thank both all for all of your help. I was ready to give up because I could not read or write Italian but with all that you have sent to me I feel good about trying to continue the search.

It is people like you that make me and all newbies feel great because you give us the inspiration and information to keep on plugging away. I will keep you posted on how I get along and I am sure that I will be back with many questions.

A BIGGGG THANK YOU :)
Gail
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sounding like an Adam Sandler movie here....but, You can do it..... :lol:

Trish wrote the guide we use for obtaining microfilms, so I figured she would be great at writing this guide to!!!! Thanks Trish!!!

Most of our posters have had initial problems in viewing the microfilms, but once you get the hang of it...you'll be a pro in no time!!! And if you run into any problems, someone here can walk you thru it......we have a great team here!!!!

Also, and Trish can clarify here, after you renew the microfilms, 3 times??,
you'll have them on permanent loan, so they will stay put at your library.
You can also copy the records, and some centers have the ability to burn them on Cd, or so I have read.

For inspiration, check out member James Bianco's site, he has transcribed nearly an entire town.
www.cariniexchange.com

Happy Hunting..
wldspirit