Coat of arms

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
kate

Coat of arms

Post by kate »

Hi everyone,i was hoping someone could help me to find out if my family had a coat of arms or anything else of significance in history.My family name is Massaro,from SanMarco in Lamis,Foggia,i would also like to know where i could find out what my ancestors did for a living,
i cant fid out off my grandparents as they are old and cannot remember too much.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps,Kate.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

ps etc. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

A family crest may not be for your family but was for another family with your last name so you cannot with certainty come to believe that you have been accorded the titles that go with it. The easy way to know if there is any crest is to go to a commeriocal site like www.infokey.com and there insert the name and a crest information will show up. If you wish to know what your family trade,occupation or busines was at time of entry into your country then go to the entry records where I amsure occupation was the information recorded. I am sure you can contact the www.naa.gov.au for assistance in locating those records. Peter
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Coat of arms

Post by PepinoMattioli »

ptimber - Have you tried that website with the coat of arms before. cuz every name that i type in, tells me it cant be found. And to put in my email and such. I was just wondering if you have tried this with sucess. I dont want to put in my adress and hope to get som info and just get a bunch of junk mail
wfwriter

Post by wfwriter »

I have a Massaro that married into my family. If you want, I can ask him about his family and see what he remembers. And are you sure your grandparents can't remember much? You don't want to press them, but they can still be good sources of information.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You migfht want to go to the family history library of the Mormon church and obtain the micorfilm of the civil records for your Massaro family in San Marco in Lamis which should date back to 1809. Perhaps you can trace your family back provided you can read some italian words such as birth,marriage and death. I would suggest bringing an Italian dictionary and you may very well see a notation as to their occupations. There are family history libraries thruout the world. Check Telestra. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In order to find the library closest to your home go to www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhg/framset_FHC.asp. If you have any difficulty send me your e-mail address and i will send it to you that way. Peter