distant cousins

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
troia-buccini

distant cousins

Post by troia-buccini »

is there any informaton available about the name "Mortillaro". my famly tells me that they are distant cousns,
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: distant cousins

Post by PeterTimber »

Mortillaro is not listed inthe Italian surname dictionary and is either a local surname or imported from abroad and italianized over time. There is no word for the Mortillaro inthe Italian word dictionary so the true significance is lost inthe mists of time. Surnames in Italy commenced with nicknames and became first names and then surnames inthe 12-13th century. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0011or.htm

MORTILLARO Mortillaro è specificatamente siciliano con un ceppo nella zona occidentale ed uno nella zona meridionale della Sicilia, dovrebbe derivare dal termine dialettale mortillaro (raccoglitore e lavoratore del mirto ed anche chi lo commerciava). Mortillaro è un nobile casato che tra la fine del 1600 e gli inizi del 1700 nel palermitano godeva del titolo di Marchese e di Barone, ricordiamo a titolo di esempio il Marchese Vincenzo Mortillaro di Villarena e più tardi il barone del Ciantro Soprano Carlo Mortillaro.

Laura
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fredoniapeaches »

grazie molto Laura!! that website is awesome!!
cliklm

Post by cliklm »

My husband's ancestors are Mortillaro's. We were told that the name means "bearer of the Mortello" (which I believe is a plant) His ancestors immigrated to America from Lucca Sicula, Sicily but according to family legend they were in Venice in the year 1218 but had moved their investments to Florence by the year 1350. By 1425 they were in Naples. One of the 14 family estates was in Palermo and supposedly his line descends from one of the sons of the Palermo estate.

Kathy Montelaro