Tracing my Italian ancesters

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mbertoni

Tracing my Italian ancesters

Post by mbertoni »

Hi

I hope I'm doing this correctly, as its my first time on the Forum.

I'm trying to trace my Italian roots. I know that my great great grandfather Tommaso Bertoni was born in Cervia in the late 1700s. My Great grandfather was born in 1827 in 270 Borgo Marina Street, Cervia, and my grandfather was born in 1870 in Cervia as well.
I know that the street is still there.

My grandfather migrated to South Africa around 1900, but I dont have any accurate information.

I'm trying to get any documents such as birth/death certificates, shipping records, etc, and need some help as to how and who to approach. I'm living in Australia and the Italian embassy here in Canberra has not been very helpful.
I hoping to go to Italy next year to try and find out what I can.

Unfortunately Bertoni is a rather common Italian surname, andt here appear to be millions all around the world!

Regards

Malcolm
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Tracing my Italian ancesters

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Here are some sites that might be helpful for you. Documents must be ordered from the comune of birth, but civil records may not go back as far as you want. The Family History Center has documents going back to 1809.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/039/007/index.html

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... ervia&ind=
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

The Italian Embassy wouldn't help; it isn't in there job description. To get birth certificates you would have to write the town where it took place, in your case Cervia. If you are just looking for copies, not certified records, then it is possible to go to your local family history center

Canberra Australia
Cnr Wattle & Brigalow Sts
Lyneham, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Phone: 61-02-6247-5503
Hours: T,Th,Sat 10am-2pm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Once you have exhausted civil records at the comune level, you may be able to trace farther back by using parish records, providing they are intact.

Here is a link to an easy interactive request form for records such as birth, marriage and death:

Stato Civile

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Can you provide the names for the great grandfather and grandfather?
mbertoni

Post by mbertoni »

Hi
My great-great grandfather was Tammaso Bertoni, my great grandfather was Gaetano Bertoni (born 1827) and my grandfather was Luigi Bertoni (born 1870).

I'm assuming they were all born in Cervia.

Malcolm