Trying to research/find family/ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lyricsmama

Trying to research/find family/ancestors

Post by Lyricsmama »

My family is from san giovanni in galdo (campobasso). My family name is Graziano. Long story short, family immigrated to Ontario Canada, and my father (Donato) and Nonna (Michalina (sp)) we're left by my Nonno (Emido). I have no contact with him or that side of the family and am trying to find "roots" and research info about where my family came from.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Trying to research/find family/ancestors

Post by ptimber »

If you say the family comes from San Giovanni In Galdo why do yhou say you want to know where they come from. Do yuou mean to say he comes froim another town and not San Givoanni in Galdo??? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you say the family comes from San Giovanni In Galdo why do yhou say you want to know where they come from. Do yuou mean to say he comes froim another town and not San Givoanni in Galdo??? Peter
tebor13

Post by tebor13 »

Lyricsmama wrote:My family is from san giovanni in galdo (campobasso). My family name is Graziano. Long story short, family immigrated to Ontario Canada, and my father (Donato) and Nonna (Michalina (sp)) we're left by my Nonno (Emido). I have no contact with him or that side of the family and am trying to find "roots" and research info about where my family came from.
Hi,
Some of my family are also from San Giovanni in Galdo. I have done some research using the films from the Family History Center. If you have one near you, you can rent films for about $3.50. Films for birth, mariage and deat records exist from 1809 -1910. I have looked at some of them and found some Graziano's born in the 1820's, that just happen to have married members of my family. Here are a couple of web sites about San Giovanni in Galdo. i'd be happy to assist you if you'd like.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... Findex.htm

http://www.italyworldclub.com/molise/ca ... ngaldo.htm
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Lyricsmama if you know where your family came from then why do you ask for information about where your family comes from.???????? It does not make any sense and I am awaiting your rresponse since I believe your looking for something but what it is I cannot tell???? Peter
tebor13

Post by tebor13 »

Hi Lyricsmama,
Here is a link to the Family History Centers film catalog for all of the films available for San Giovanni in Galdo. If you go to your nearest FHC, they can help you order these films. The centers have microfilm viewers and volunteers there to assist you. I have used the one local to me to do much of my research. The Nati refer to birth, Morti to death and Matrimoni to marriage in case you did not know.
If you are also looking for information about San Giovanni in Galdo, the town, the couple of other links i sent you, will give you a little info on it. Also, if you go to any search engine on the internet and type in San Giovanni in Galdo and hit enter, you may get additional links.

If i can help further, please let me know.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++
tebor13

Post by tebor13 »

Hi again Lyricsmama,

Here is a link to find the Family History closest to you.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... c_find.asp
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Unamed Tebor Mozzarella. Please have the courtesy to wait until I get a reply to my query which was poorly written and required explanation. You went ahead and started spewing off the routine information like some Morte di Fame without even explaining anything to the poster. Shame on you. Peter (thats my name)
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Lyricsmama wrote:
My family is from san giovanni in galdo (campobasso). My family name is Graziano. Long story short, family immigrated to Ontario Canada, and my father (Donato) and Nonna (Michalina (sp)) we're left by my Nonno (Emido). I have no contact with him or that side of the family and am trying to find "roots" and research info about where my family came from.
San Giovanni in Galdo dates back to the 11th century. The fief belonged to the Abbey of Santa Sofia (Benevento) until 1785. Chiesa di San Germano is very old and contains a valuable pulpit and two holy water stoups from the destroyed Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista. The pulpit is supported by two pillars with decorated capitals and pictures of saints on it. The stoups are supported by two large lions. The Church also has a painting of San Giovanni, done in the Neapolitan School, and a wooden statue of San Nicola by Giacomo Colombo. Not far from the town, on top of a hill, are the remains of a small Italic (Samnite) temple dating back to the 2nd century B.C. In April, the Via Crucis takes place, when the local people dress up in old traditional costumes. In May, there is a contest for the best flowered balcony. On August 29th, the Saint Day of the town’s patron - San Giovanni Battista, the feast of precasse is held, which is a special dish made from lamb entrails, eggs, and cheese. On the nights of December 31 and January 6, the maitunate are held, which are traditional serenades by the folk group Zig-Zaghini, which travels around Italy singing and dancing in accordance with old local customs. Cavatelli is the typical home-made pasta of the local cuisine. There are about 900 inhabitants of the town, who are called sangiovannari.
John Armellino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks John. Peter
tebor13

Post by tebor13 »

ptimber wrote:Dear Unamed Tebor Mozzarella. Please have the courtesy to wait until I get a reply to my query which was poorly written and required explanation. You went ahead and started spewing off the routine information like some Morte di Fame without even explaining anything to the poster. Shame on you. Peter (thats my name)
Dear Peter,
My name is Robert and i dont appreciate the tone of your response to me!!!! Who do you think you are? The information that the poster was requesting was understandable? The infomation I supplied is to give the poster some leads. The information that John sent was very good as well!
I didnt think that evey posting in this forum has to go through you first! We all have to wait for you to give the ok to proceed? Is that your job? To check every posting and reply to them first? Or is it open for everyone to offer assistance to others?
If you have nothing intellegent to say, please say nothing!!!
Robert
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I had asked a question to the poster and good manners would have dictated that you wait until she replied instead of salivating and interrupting with your genealogy 101 comments. May I suggest a long walk off a short pier....it's that time of the month. Peter
tebor13

Post by tebor13 »

ptimber wrote:I had asked a question to the poster and good manners would have dictated that you wait until she replied instead of salivating and interrupting with your genealogy 101 comments. May I suggest a long walk off a short pier....it's that time of the month. Peter
May I suggest you go play in traffic for a while you condensending ahole !!!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Amen to you Ad Hominem. Peter
Lyricsmama

Post by Lyricsmama »

Thanks to you guys who've helped me i'm looking thru those sites now. To the person trying to start trouble with people, ptimber or whoever you are, my question was pretty straight forward i'd like to know where my family's roots come from and who they are since i dont know half of them. Thanks guys for your help!