what came after ellis island

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roselaine

what came after ellis island

Post by roselaine »

My 95 year old aunt who came to the US with her mother and siblings in 1926 (verified) insists they ended up at Ellis Island and her uncle came to get them as it was a mistake because they were US citizens through her father. But Ellis Island is shown as closed after 1924 and their names do not come up when searched. Where would they have been?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: what came after ellis island

Post by VaDeb »

The NY passenger lists are from 1820-1957 on Ancestry.com and not all passed through Ellis. Castle Garden is also included in this group. I believe 1957 was the official close date for Ellis Island, though its use decreased during the years. Your aunt may be correct.

Debbie
roselaine

Post by roselaine »

Thanks Debbie. Her memory is phenomonal so she is correct after all.
Rosemary
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

roselaine wrote:My 95 year old aunt who came to the US with her mother and siblings in 1926 (verified) insists they ended up at Ellis Island and her uncle came to get them as it was a mistake because they were US citizens through her father...
VaDeb wrote:The NY passenger lists are from 1820-1957 on Ancestry. com and not all passed through Ellis. Castle Garden is also included in this group. I believe 1957 was the official close date for Ellis Island, though its use decreased during the years. Your aunt may be correct. Debbie
Hi :D !
If you don't have a subscription to ancestry. com, we can help you look for the manifest
Valarie
roselaine

Post by roselaine »

Very kind offer. I do have a membership and have the manifest. I just rechecked it and someone had typed in the wrong information after her mother's name in the Naturalization column and later wrote over it that she was married to US citizen and gave marriage date. This might have caused the mix up. Do you know if names after 1924 for Ellis Island are listed anywhere?

Rosemary
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Rosemary!
The database that Debbie mentioned on ancestry lists this information for their database:

Ancestry. com. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Castle Garden served as a processing station for immigrants from 1855 to 1890.
Likewise, Ellis Island served as a processing station for immigrants from 1892 to 1954.
This database includes both the Castle Garden and Ellis Island passenger lists
Valarie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ellis Island remained the US Immigration & Naturalization Officeand facility remained open until the late 1950's or early 1960's and moved into one of the lower Manhattan Office buildings. =Peter=
~Peter~
roselaine

Post by roselaine »

Thanks. Unfortunately there is nothing online after 1924.
Rosemary
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Roselaine,

Many of the databases on Ancestry go up to the 1940's and 1950's.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Yes they do VaDeb.....I have my families return trip home after a visit to Talamello in the 1950's!!
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rdel4577 »

Have you tried EllisIsland.org? Somestimes their search capability is better than ancestry.com.
roselaine

Post by roselaine »

Ellis Island.org will pop up a sign that says can only search between 1892 to 1924. I do have the ship manifest frtom Ancestry.com. Was hoping to find an actual Ellis Island record. Wonder if the later years are on microfilm anywhere???
Rosemary
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If you have the manifest from Ancestry.com it would be the same as the manifest from Ellis Island. Sometimes one site has "a cleaner" copy.

Debbie
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

VaDeb wrote:If you have the manifest from <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> it would be the same as the manifest from Ellis Island. Sometimes one site has "a cleaner" copy.

Debbie
Thats true, if by cleaner you mean more clear. I noticed Ancestry.com is a bit more clear, but Ellis Island is fantastic if you don't have Ancestry.com. It really doesn't make a big difference.

I think Ancestry.com gives you the option to order a copy of the document (if you want it on paper) Although I have never done this, I would just print it.

-Squigy
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito