D'ANNA, GARBACCIO, LATTERI, MAGRI, RIZZO, & SALANITRO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LindaJ47

Post by LindaJ47 »

I AM IN SEARCH OF ANY INFORMATION ON THESE SURNAMES:

ALL NAMES EXCEPT GARBACCIO ARE FROM SICILY. GARBACCIO IS
CONNECTED TO MOSSO, BIELLA, IN THE PIEDMONT PROVINCE OF ITALY.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN FURTHER RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS:

GRAFIN3@COMCAST.NET
julls

Re: Surname "Rizzo"

Post by julls »

I will e-mail you about Rizzo surname.

Julls
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Re: D'ANNA, GARBACCIO, LATTERI, MAGRI, RIZZO, & SAL

Post by LinJ47 »

Please note that my email address has changed to:

grafinthree@comcast.net
Vincenza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vincenza »

What city is D'Anna from?

My D'Anna is from Terrasini

Vincenza
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Re: D

Post by LinJ47 »

Vincenza wrote:What city is D'Anna from?

My D'Anna is from Terrasini

Vincenza
Hello Vincenza,

My D'Anna family is from Palermo which I see by the maps is not far from Terrasini. The D'Anna family had a shipping company. They imported/exported citrus, olives and marble.

My Great Grandmother was named VINCENZA D'ANNA.
She married BALDASARRE MAGRI also of Palermo. He was a marble carver and his family had a marble carving business. When he and Vincenza married their families combined their companies and had a marble shipping company that went all over the Mediterranean and over to the USA. Baldasarre was one of the marble sculptors who worked on the famous Palermo Opera House, the Teatro Massimo.

After many trips back and forth to the USA the family company decided it would be a good idea to also set up a marble shop in the USA. So my great grandparents, Vincenza D'Anna and husband, Baldasarre Magri decided they would be the ones to establish the company in Astoria, NY. They came to the US around 1898 with their 8 children. Here is the info on this family:

VINCENZA D'ANNA, - DOB 1851 in Palermo, DOD 1939 in Bronx, NY

Married to:

BALDASARRE MAGRI - DOB 1849 in Palermo, DOD 1927 in NY

They had 9 children all born in Palermo before coming to the US:

NICHOLAS (who died in infancy),
NICHOLAS II married to NINA BENNINOTI
MAMIE married to ERNEST CAPACCIO
GIOVANNA (JENNY) married to GIOVANNI MAZZARA
JULIA married to HENRY GARBACCIO **My Paternal Grandparents
EMMA married to JOSEPH LUCHESE
ANTHONY (ANDY) married to FRANCES WEINEKE
ARTHUR married to ?
ELVIRA (VERA) married to JOSEPH LAVORE

They all came to the US sometime around 1898 on their own ship.They settled in Astoria, Queens, NY where they set up their marble shop and shipping.

I am LINDA GARBY BARNES, granddaughter of JULIA MAGRI GARBACCIO. I hope I hear from you or anyone who has info to share.

My e-mail address is:

grafinthree@comcast.net
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Linda,

I had the pleasure of meeting you in my Italian Class at the Cherry Hill Family History Center Genealogy Conference which was held October 17, 2009.

I already gave you information on how to locate the ship your Magri ancestors came into the USA on.

I wanted to share the following information with you which I found in the Palermo Marriage Indexes.

Code: Select all

1. Baldassare Magri married Antonia Caccamisi
                 2. Grazia Magri 
                     Married: Filippo Cicino
                     Married on: July 9, 1840 – Sant'Agata – Vol. 203; #0115
                 2. Nicola Magri 
                     Married: Girolama Messina 
                     Daughter of: Antonino Messina & Anna DiLisi
                     Married on: February 8, 1840 – Sant'Agata – Vol. 204; #0021 		
                     3. Baldassare Magri 
                         Married: Vincenza D’Anna –
                         Daughter of: Antonino D’Anna & Giovanna Monzelta
                         Married on: October 11, 1880 – Uff. 2; Vo.l 083; #515
                     3. Anna Magri
                         Married: Giacchino Cacioppo
                         Married on: September 20, 1867 – Citta – Vol. 005; #0579
The information above came from the microfilm for Palermo. Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... eno=316910

You can also use the Birth Index films to locate the birth information for both Baldassare Magri and Vincenza D'Anna.

I hope this helps and hope to see you soon.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Dear Trish,

Yet another day of finding more gen gifts! Thank you! Thank you! I have never been aware of these additional surnames! More digging to do thanks to your sharp researching! Hope to see you soon too!

E stato un piacere!
Linda @ The Jersey Shore ~~~~~~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Not sure if you have seen the following link, marriages dated 1820 thru 1895 for Palermo:

Palermo Marriages

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The transcriber has several types of links, the following requires no download.
An example from the pages:
Surname, firstname, father, mother, district, date, folio, number, spouse

Magri,Franc. Paolo,Gennaro,Cusmano Giulia,S. N.,14,giugno,1888,v. 187,n. 0157,Novello Grazia
Magri,Grazia,Baldassare,Caccamisi M. Antonia,S. A.,9,luglio,1840,v. 203,n. 0115,Cicin Filippo
Magri,Giuseppe,Bernardo,Guarnaschelli M. Anna,S. O.,8,nov.,1836,v. 157,n. 0226,Sciacca Antonina
Magri,Isabella,Rasario,Caccamese Antonia,S. C.,13,apr.,1841,v. 218,n. 0053,La Cuva Antonin
Magri,Nicola,Baldassare,Caccamisi Antonia,S. A.,9,nov.,1840,v. 204,n. 0021,Messina Girolama
Magri,Nicolb,Bernardo,Guarnaschelli Marianna,M.,2,maggio,1845,v. 265,n. 0051,Dionisi Maria Luisa
Magri,Rosalia,Rosario,Caccamisi M. Antonia,M.,8,febb.,1842,v. 135,n. 0036,Caravello Gaetano
Magri,Santa,Gennaro,Cusimano Giulia,S. 0.,6,apr.,1836,v. 169,n. 0047,Novello Fr.
Magri,Vinconzo,Gennaro,Cusmano Giulia,S. 0.,12,sett.,1838,v. 183,n. 0246,Buglisi Dorotea

LINK

wldspirit :D

LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Hi wldspirit!

Thanks so very much for those links and suggestions! It's a feast! I can't sleep until I copy and paste all those surnames! LOL!

Ciao!
Linda :o)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Happy Hunting!! :D
wldspirit

mbirch1

Post by mbirch1 »

I am a D'Anna and trying to trace my grandfather's family. They are from Monreale (outside Palermo). His name is Giuseppe D'Anna born around March 17, 1883 or 84. He emigrated to NY around 1905. Married Rosalia Madonia, also from Monreale and had my father Joseph in 1923 and two other girls. Supposedly he had 11 sisters that he left behind in Monreale. So I suspect there are still a lot of relatives there. I haven't been successful getting his birth records yet, but I am just picking this up again after a long hiatus from research. Could he be part of your D'Anna family?
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Hi,

I have so little info on my D'Anna ancestors except that they had a shipping company located in Palermo and that my Great Grandmother was Vincenza D'Anna who married Baldassare Magri Oct 11, 1880. According to the wonderful info above from Trish I just learned that Vincenza D'Anna's parents were Giovanna Monzelta and Antonino D'Anna. Everyday brings a new puzzle piece!

Let's keep in touch. I am sure that there must be some connection somewhere!

Linda
mbirch1

Post by mbirch1 »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My grandfather Giuseppe had 11 sisters that were left behind in Monreale, so quite possibly your family descends from one of them. I am still trying to get some info from Italy about that family, but it's very difficult because I don't have any of their information. What I have heard is that they had a farm/villa where they grew and exported tomatoes, olive oil etc. Maybe that is the connection to shipping? I will definitely keep in touch if I get any more information. Thanks.

Margie
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Ciao,

My great grandmother, Vincenza D'Anna Magri left Sicily around 1903 with her husband and children to settle in Astoria, Queens, NY. I do know that part of the goods that the D'Anna family shipped were olives and olive oil plus citrus. I guess it was when Vincenza married Baldassare Magri, who was part of a marble carving family, that they added marble to their shipping rosters. That was the reason the family left Sicily-to establish a marble shop in NY where they were supplying a lot of raw marble and finished marble carvings. NY was thriving with constructing new and expensive bldgs then.

I have only recently learned thanks to Trish that Vincenza's parents were Giovanna Monzelta and Antonino D'Anna. Now I have SO much more digging to do!

You can email me directly if you wish, I have some photos that you might be interested in seeing. Perhaps some of the faces will be familiar.

<grafinthree@comcast.net>

Nice hearing from you Margie!
Linda :o)