Baptismal Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
marbil

Baptismal Certificate

Post by marbil »

I need a translation from Latin to English. This is from a microfilm from LDS.

Anno Domini 1863 die 11th Mensis Iria?? in Ecclesia Matre S. Nicolus.
Ego infrascriptus (Can't read) baptizavi infantem naiam (?) die 11th ex conjugibey(?again, very poor writing) Antonio Scorpione et Rosa Navigato hujus Communitatis, vel ex Communitate Roti cui, impositum nomen fuit Magdalenia Carmela Maria ecimue in sacro fonte suscepit - Matina Angela Errichetti.
Obstetrix Cajetana Martino

I think Obstetrix means midwife. With a midwife listed, does this serve as a birth certificate as well as a baptisimal certificate? The copy is so poor and I did the best I could to copy it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

marbil
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Baptismal Certificate

Post by liviomoreno »

I suggest that you post the document so that someone can help you deciphering the full document

"The year of the Lord 1863 day 11th Month xxx in the Mother Church Of St Nicolus.
I undersigned ... baptized a child born (natam) the day 11th to the spouses Antonio Scorpione and Rosa Navigato belonging to this community, xxxxx, and to whom was given the name Magdalena Carmela Maria xxxxxxxx - Martinus Angelus Arrichetti. Midwife Cajetana Martino."

I would consider the document to be also a birth certificate (a proof of the birth)
marbil

Post by marbil »

Thank you so very much. I am not sure how to post the document. I have a scanner. Do I save it to a file and submit that? Thanks for your help.

marbil
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may scan the document and save it as an image file (extension .gif, ipg, etc.) then you upload this file to some hosting system such as imageshack or photobucket and post here the link to the image.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Marbil why don't you ask the LDS peeople at the family history library if they can get their people in Salt Lake City to improve onthe copy for you since you may need it for official purposes and offer to pay for any technical service they perform in this regard? =Peter=
~Peter~
marbil

Need help with Baptisimal Records

Post by marbil »

I have 4 images for you to look at. I am only interested in the ones bearing Antonio Scorpione.

http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/259 ... 3-jpg.html
http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/259 ... 4-jpg.html
http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/259 ... 1-jpg.html
http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/259 ... 2-jpg.html

ANY help will be appreciated. I am VERY interested in Project 1.

Thank you.

marbil
marbil

Post by marbil »

liviomoreno wrote:You may scan the document and save it as an image file (extension .gif, ipg, etc.) then you upload this file to some hosting system such as imageshack or photobucket and post here the link to the image.

May I send the file as an email attachment to you?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Transcription of
project 1 (italian):
Nr 86. Antonio Scorpione esposto, battezzato il 13 giugno 1834 da me Federico(?) arciprete Florio. Commare Rosa Zaccagnino.

project 2 (latin):
Anno Domini 1859 die octava mensis octobris in Ecclesia Matre Sancti Nicolai Ego infrascriptus Archipresbiter in matrimonio contrahendo inter Antonium Scorpione comunitatis Roti a parentibus ignotis natum et Rosa Maria Navigato comunitatis Roti filiam Dominici et Cajetana Martino praemissis proclamationibus diebus festis 11ª, 18ª, 25ª septembris nulloque legitimo canonico impedimento detecto, eorumque mutuo consensu abito, per verba de praesenti matrimonio coniunxi, praesentibus testibus Rocho Sileo filio Dominici et Gerardo Gentilesco filio Sabati huius comunitatis Roti.
Michael Angelus Labriola.
L'anno del Signore 1859, il giorno 8 del mese di Ottobre nella Chiesa Madre di San Nicola io infrascritto arciprete nel contrarre matrimonio tra Antonio Scorpione della comunità di Roti(?) nato da genitori ignoti e Rosa Maria Navigato figlia di Domenico e Gaetana Martino, premesse le pubblicazioni nei giorni festivi 11, 18, e 25 Settembre e nessun legittimo impedimento canonico scoperto e avuto il loro reciproco consenso, per verba de praesenti [you can see here for the meaning of the previous phrase: http://209.85.135.132/search?q=cache:yq ... clnk&gl=it ] li congiunsi in matrimonio, presenti i testimoni Rocco Sileo figlio di Domenico e Gerardo Gentilesco figlio di Sabato di questa comunità di Roti. Michelangelo Labriola.

Luca
marbil

Post by marbil »

Thank you so much Luca. Have you had a chance to look at the other two downloaded files?

Thanks
marbil
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Project 3:

Nr. 124. Anno Domini 1860, die 19ª mensis Augusti in Ecclesia Matre Sancti Nicolai. Ego infrascriptus Sacerdos baptizavi infantem natum die 19ª ex coniugibus Antonio Scorpione et Rosa Navigato huius comunitatis vel = [the underlined part had to be crossed out by the Priest, so i'll don't translate it] ex comunitate Roti cui impositum fuit nomen Rochus Donatus eumque in sacro fonte suscepit patrinus Nicolaus Nicolia terrae Trasnutuli. Obstetrix Carmela Cariello.
Januarius Bachicchio.
L'anno del Signore 1860, il giorno 19 del mese di Agosto nella chiesa madre di San Nicola. Io infrascritto sacerdore battezzai un infante nato il giorno 19 dai coniugi Antonio Scorpioner e Rosa Navogato dalla comunità di Roti [maybe Ruoti, Potenza province?] a cui è imposto il nome di Rocco Donato e lo prese al Sacro Fonte il padrino Nicola Nicolia dela terra di Trasnutoli(???). Ostetrica Carmela Cariello.
Gennaro Bachicchio

Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Project 4:

Nr. 63. Anno Domini 1863, die 11ª mensis Junii in Ecclesia Matre Sancti Nicolai. Ego infrascriptus Sacerdos baptizavi infantem natam die 11ª ex coniugibus Antonio Scorpione et Rosa Navigato ex comunitate Roti cui impositum nomen fuit Magdalena Carmela Maria eamque in sacro fonte suscepit matrina Angela Errichetti. Obstetrix Cajetana Martino.
Aloysius Costantino.
L'anno del Signore 1863, il giorno 11 del mese di Giugno nella chiesa madre di San Nicola. Io infrascritto sacerdore battezzai un'infante nata il giorno 11 dai coniugi Antonio Scorpione e Rosa Navigato dalla comunità di Roti a cui fu imposto il nome di Maddalena Carmela Maria e la prese al Sacro Fonte la madrina Angela Errichetti. Ostetrica Gaetana Martino.
Luigi Costantino

Luca
marbil

Post by marbil »

I honestly can't thank you enough.

I actually have three more birth/baptismal certs. Is it OK to upload them. I am interested in the dates of birth and their name. Most of the other stuff is identical on the form.

Please let me know if you have time to do it for me.

Thanks again
marbil
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

:wink:

L.
marbil

Post by marbil »

OK, here are my last three birth/baptism certificates. I really need the dates and names since the rest is pretty much from the form. Again, I need the info regards the certs with the parents as Antonio Scorpione and Rosa Navigato.

http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/261 ... 5-jpg.html

Thanks again.
marbil
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'll try:

n.131 - Sep 6, 1863 Josepha
n. 68 - Mar 28, 1867 Maria Josepha
n.118 - Oct 5, 1861 Josephus Beniaminus(?)