Gazzarari Gazzarrini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jsh82

Gazzarari Gazzarrini

Post by jsh82 »

My wife's family (Gazzarari) came here in 1926. Maria Gazzarari (b. 1899) came with her 2 children, Etalo/Italo and Luci/Lucille. Her husband Louis (b. 1888) came earlier to get citizenship. My wife's father says Etalo (my wife's grandfather) was born in Bologna, April 5 1924. I can't find any record of Gazzarari's other than Maria and Louis's descendants. I also cannot find any Italian record of Maria, Louis, Etalo, Lucille. I was told that there may have been an "N" or "N's" in the last name before coming to the states... Gazzarrini perhaps..i just don't know. Wondering if anybody here might be able to help me find birth record so i can continue to find ancestors. Thanks!

Jason
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Gazzarari Gazzarrini

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Do you have any records? Ship's manifest, census records? That is the first place to start. Where did the family settle when they got to the US? Do you know Maria's maiden name?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The wife would have traveled under her maiden name, Italian women retain use of their own surname, once arriving in the US she then would have adopted US custom and used her husbands surname.

I checked the spelling and there are many variations of what could have been the original surname......where did the family reside after immigration?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sorry Misbris....slow typing skills here... :oops:
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

That's OK, we are on the sme track. :lol:

Is this the correct Louis?

Name: Louis Gazzarari
State: Kentucky
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Naturalization Record Type: Petitions for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: M519
Roll Description: (Roll 073) Military Petitions, Aug-Sept 1918
Archive: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Collection Title: Naturalization Records of District Courts in the S
Archive Series: M1547
Archive Roll: 073
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187 ... cument.jpg

This is the passenger manifest for maria and her 2 kids, she used her husbands name in this case.
YES this is the same Louis, Maria's husband.
Maria and Louis lived around Detroit. My wifes dad and his parents lived in lincoln park, michigan. I'll keep watching this thread, so i'll answer any questions i can as soon as i see them.
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

Maria's maiden name is a mystery... forgot to mention it last post.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

misbris wrote:That's OK, we are on the sme track. :lol:

Is this the correct Louis?

State: Kentucky
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Naturalization Record Type: Petitions for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: M519
Roll Description: (Roll 073) Military Petitions, Aug-Sept 1918
Archive: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Collection Title: Naturalization Records of District Courts in the S
Archive Series: M1547
Archive Roll: 073
Hey mj :D !
Here's your link
Valarie

Petition for Naturalization

Notes:
born 27 Feb 1889 in Miato(?) Italy
not married
occupation soldier, private
residence: Taylorsville IL
in US since 13 Apr 1912
witnesses from Camp Taylor KY

He was naturalized under
An Act of May 9, 1918, provided for the immediate naturalization of alien soldiers, eliminating the required declarations of intention, the certificate of arrival, and proof of residence.
Act of May 9, 1918, 40 Stat. 542, section 1

and

Index Card

Publication Number: M1952
Publication Title: Index to Naturalizations of World War I Soldiers, 1918
Publisher: NARA
Year: 1918
Short Description:
NARA M1952.
Index cards for locating naturalization records for soldiers serving in the US Armed Forces during World War I,
specifically the year 1918.
Immigrant Surname: Gazzarari
Immigrant Given Name: Louis
Court Number: 1246
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

So, if he wasn't married when he was here.. I'm wondering if this Louis was a brother to maria.. i had heard my wife's father mention that there were 2 people named Louis Gazzarari, maybe this one is Jr. If that's so i wonder if maria gave her kids her own name for some reason.. now I'm more confused than ever LOL. I did find another record of a Louis Gazzarari in 1950 either leaving or coming to the U.S. Another thought..maybe she kept her name but was married and held the Italian custom, and the husbands name isn't known. If thats the case, how would i find who her husband was since if she was married, it was prior to her move to the U.S.

Any thoughts/Ideas!? I'm lost all over again :(
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The manifest gives the marriage date as April 1921, the date that Maria attained citizenship through her husband. The children also were citizens through their father. That may be why Maria travelled under her married name.
Louis must have returned to Italy to marry, but I cannot find a manifest for him. The name Gazzarari does not exist in Italy today, so we have to check for other spellings. I haven't found any census records yet either.
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

The only other border crossing record i can find for a Louis Gazzarari is this one.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187 ... ossing.jpg

As far as name variations go, i was told there used to be N's in the name, it was something told to my wife's father as a young man.. so i guess take that statement for what its worth
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

I've looked at the card catalog on Ancestry.com for Gazzarari or even anything similar... but i cant read half of them because they are in Italian, and the handwriting is very... scripty.. if that's even a word. Does anyone here have access to Italian records that can read them? I'd be grateful for anything, and i am grateful for what you folks have done for me already. Cheers!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The sunrame locator for Italy has no Gazzarari in present day Italy BUT there are 16 cities, towns and villages having persons surnamed Gazzarini.

Go to www.gens.labo.net/em/cognomi and put in both spellings for the location of these places since one of the 16 citiees,towns or villages will certainly have others (family?) with the same urname and perhaps even with first names that are familiar to the immediate family of this inquiry.

You can do this by going to www.paginebianche.it and put in the spelling of choice (gazzarini) and then the provinces or regions if you wish in the second line clicking CERCA for any listing. Provinces are best treated with initials since the name may relate only to the capital city of that province and not the entire province. Surely the region would be best. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsh82

Post by jsh82 »

Thanks! I sent out some emails to a few Gazzarrini folks, i figure its a start. Gazzarari is not an easy one that's for sure.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Going by sheer numbers GAZZARRINI seems more likely spelling since Toscana region is area of concentration for this spelling. There are 42 cities,towns and villages as opposed to Gazzarini with 16. =Peter=
~Peter~