Natoli - Portelli families in Lipari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RichardNatoli

Natoli - Portelli families in Lipari

Post by RichardNatoli »

I have just started working on my family's genealogy but ran into a quick roadblock when I got to my great great grandparents in Lipari but have no other information but their names. Are there any good free online resources for conducting this research?

And, on the off-chance anyone can help, my great grandfather was Bartolo Natoli (born in 1896 in Lipari and married Nunziata Biviano in the US). Nuziata was also born in Lipari. Now, following my great grandfather, his parents were Thomas Natoli and Anna Portelli...this is where I can't find any more information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Natoli - Portelli families in Lipari

Post by VaDeb »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is a wealth of information availalbe on microfilm from a LDS family history center:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Member Trish wrote a helpful guide on obtaining microfilm:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

Italian genealogy word list, also by the Lds:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Details on Lipari, including town hall address if you prefer to write and send for records.....

http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... ipari.html

form letter:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

But as VaDeb suggested.....the Lds microfilm is the way to go!!
And if you have any problem with this resource, there are plenty of experienced members here to help you.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
RichardNatoli

Post by RichardNatoli »

Thank you for the information. My search is now moving forward again. i will check the Lds when able. Here's another question...my great aunt has told me the family records that would be most helpful were kept in the Vatican. Any idea what she means, or how to get this information?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
there is nothing saved to Vatican about Italian civil records.
Italian civil records are kept to civil record office of the town or village where birth, marriage or death occured.
There is also a second copy of birth, marriage and death record to State Archive of the province where town or village belongs, microfilmed by Mormons,
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
graceoz

Post by graceoz »

Hi,

This may not be of any use to you but you never know - are you aware there are quite alot of Natoli's from Lipari in Australia? My Uncle is from Lipari and he is a Natoli. He emigrated here in the 1960's. There were also some well known Natoli families from Lipari that were in the fruit and vegetable trade here in Australia (especially Melbourne) earlier in the century in the 1920's and 1930's. The Biviano's from Lipari were also well known in the fruiterer trade here in Melbourne. You never know, perhaps some of your Natoli relatives ended up in Australia.
Tomil42
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tomil42 »

There are a lot of Natolis from Lipari in the Central NY area, from Oswego to Syracuse, Cortland, Norwich and others places. Join some of the Rootsweb sites for these places or search Rootsweb for Natoli names and researchers.
zona1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zona1 »

I have information on this family. Please contact me at italiandocuments@gmail.com
mcsalvi

Post by mcsalvi »

I also have an Anna Portelli daughter of Franesco and Margherita Natoli c. 1858 canneto died in lipari on oct 21, 1909 and was married to a Tommaso natoli - that Tommaso name bothers me because all the Gaetano's became Thomases…. any how they had two children : bartolomea and Antonio. Bartolomea married a diego sidoti - does that help?