Daross family origins

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bevdaro

Daross family origins

Post by bevdaro »

I am looking for any information about the Daross family in the region of the Italian and Austrian border.
My great-grandfather was born near Baldramsdorf, Carinthia, Austria in 1839,
but supposedly his grandparents were from Pontebba, Italy. They left Pontebba in the 1790's, and settled across the mountains in Austria.

Where would I begin my search for the Daross family in Italy?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Daross family origins

Post by PeterTimber »

Thyis surname was discussed in 2007 under http://www.italiangenealogy.tardio.com/ ... ic/p=46947.

If your inquiry is an extension of this intial inquiry please advise at whyat point you wish to proceed or should we consider this "ab initio" (from the beginning? =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:Thyis surname was discussed in 2007 under http://www.italiangenealogy.tardio.com/ ... ic/p=46947.

If your inquiry is an extension of this intial inquiry please advise at whyat point you wish to proceed or should we consider this "ab initio" (from the beginning? =Peter=
Peter, there must be a typo in your link...

the referenced topic can be found at http://www.italiangenealogy.tardio.com/ ... aross.html
bevdaro

Post by bevdaro »

This is a new inquiry.

I looked at the previous surname inquiry, but that is a different family.
My name Daross is spelled with the double ss.
I know there are variations of the name.
There are still several Daross families in the state of Carinthia in Austria
where my great-grandfather was born. I believe they are cousins.
My great-grandfather went to Mexico with Maximilian, then came to Texas
around 1867-1868. Most of the family remained in Texas.
There is another Daross family that settled in Conn. Their ancestors came in the 1890's from Vittorio, Trevisa, Italy. I don't know if their family was of any relation to my family.

All I know is that my great-grandfather's grandparents were from Pontebba, Italy, and the name may have been DaRoss or DaRossi.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

LIVIO The website is correct but I put a space between viewtopic in the address and caused a problem. Thanks for picking it up but my website involved Daros and Wildspirit. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

BEVDARO the Mexico/Texas Daross are klisted for Bee and Harris Texas on www.familysearch.org under ancestor search=Peter=
~Peter~
bevdaro

Post by bevdaro »

Thank you Peter.

My great-aunt Sophie Daross was married in Bee County, Texas, and my
great-uncle Ed Daross was married in Houston, Harris Co., Texas.

My great-grandfather Louis Daross came on a ship from Veracruz, Mexico, sometime after Maximilian had been executed. Louis entered Texas at Port Lavaca or Indianola. He married Laura Wittnebert in 1869 in Calhoun Co., Texas. They lived for a while in Indianola and Victoria, and then moved to Cuero, DeWitt, Texas. Louis was the Jailer and Town Marshal for many years.
Louis would interpret for the courts. It is said that he could speak five languages (German, Italian, Spanish, English, and French). He died in 1899.

I had a scrap of an old envelope addressed to Louis which had the postmark of Baldramsdorf, Austria. In materials from the Austrian tourist agency I found a Daross family still living in the area. I wrote to the man, and he wrote back and said that my great-grandfather was a cousin of his grandfather. He was the one who said the Daross ancestors were from Pontebba, Italy. I checked the distance from Baldramsdorf to Pontebba,
it is about 100 km. Since they relocated in the 1790's, I think they were
trying to get away from Napoleon's army.
Kpena1220

Post by Kpena1220 »

I'm from the Vittorio Veneto DaRoss family that settled in Conn.