Help wanted from Argentina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Lili2 »

Hi, Ive had great success in tracking down my family in Italy via the family history library BUT Ive had no success in tracking my great grandmother who emigrated to Argentina in 1913.
Can anyone in Argentina help???
Her name was Carmela Zagami (maiden name). She was 21 and a widow when she moved to Argentina. I think she went there to marry an Italian immigrant whose surname was something like Cioffi???? However Im not certain of this information.
My grandfather (when he was alive) said she had 2 more children in Argentina. They would have been born post 1913. She lived in Buenos Aires or Avellaneda. Carmela wrote to her son in Italy for years but contact was lost in the 1960's when she probably died.
Im trying to locate her grandchildren in Argentina as her children would have died by now.
So I need to help in getting her marriage certificate in Argentina or her death certificate as these documents would list her married name.
Any suggestions???
Lili
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Michael31 »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lilli there are about 8 out of 15 persons surnamed ZAGAMI that are concentrated in Santa Fe Bombal and perhaps one letter to all 8 may come up with the information you are seeking. If you wish to write please let me now so that I can assist you further. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

lilli do you live in Argentina? =Peter=
~Peter~
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Hi, I live in Australia. I read somewhere that its quite easy and free for citizens of Argentina to access death records. I dont know if this info is correct. I hoped someone from Argentina might be able to tell me.

I havnt tried writing to the Zagami's b/c I dont know how to write in Spanish. The translation services arnt that great. The existing Zagami's wont be direct descendants of my great grandmother anyway. And it seems silly to write to the hundreds of Cioffi's in Argentina when I dont really know if that was her married name.

Hopefully someone from Argentina can enlighten me regarding obtaining marriage and death records in Argentina.

Thanks, Lili
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

8 persons surnamed ZAGAMI are not Cioffi and in the place where her residence is documented. Perhaps oral familyhistory amongst the 8 (some might be doubles?) may result in the information you seek.

I have no knowledge about death records becoming or currently available save for church records in two locations and Buenos Aires.
Since you donot know Spanish perhaps youmight wish to consider antri lingual agency (English, Spanish and French) in Buenos Aires may be able to achieve your objectives.

Go to www.familias-argentinas.com.ar/ and click on the British flag for english. I donot know what they charge but now you have an alternative. =Peter=
~Peter~
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

If you need help in drafting a letter, I grew up in Argentina and can help you translating. I also have used a company that searches for records in Argentina at a fee
"Raices Italianas" <raices_italianas@yahoo.com.ar>

I can help you with an e-mail to them too asking for an estimate.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lili,

A few sites you may find helpful if you haven't seen them already..

http://www.apellidositalianos.com.ar/

These people are all looking for Zagami history so maybe shoot them an email. You may get lucky.

Zagami Italia Sicilia Catania -- 1892 Liliana Calabrese
Zagami Italia Puglia Lecce Lecce 1900 Olivera
Zagami Italia Puglia Lecce Lecce 1937 David Maciel Zagami

For Immigrants arriving to Buenos Aires between 1882-1930

The Databanks for looking up manifests..your Carmela's info is below..

# Surname
# ZAGAMI
# Name
# CARMELA
# Parentela
# X
# Age
# 21
# Sex
# F
# Marital status
# Vedovo/a
# Occupation
# AMA DE CASA
# Religion
# CATOLICA
# Port of embarkment
# GENOVA
# Name of the ship
# DUCA DEGLI ABRUZZI
# Date of arrival
# 15-05-1913
# Literacy
# Sa
# Travel compartment
# Terza

Key
age: 800=unknown; 900=infant born at sea; 901-911=infants 1 to 11 months
literacy: sa=able to read and write; non sa=not able to read and write
Other fields: U, X, D=unknown

I know you have been searching for a while as I have seen a few of your posts on the net but I thought i would link the info anyways. Good luck.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Thanks for your suggestions. I might try writing some letters to the existing Zagami's. I think Carmela may have had a cousin named Salvatore Zagami who moved to Argentina in 1910. Im still trying to confirm whether they were cousins by researching the microfilms. The Zagami's in Argentina might be his descendants???
Its unlikely that they will know anything about Carmela but they may be able to assist me obtain her Death certificate from within Argentina.

Also I havnt been able to find a microfilm for Buenos Aires for post 1910 for Births and Marriages. Any suggestions?

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
Regards, Lili
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The birth,marriage and death records are housed in the Provincial Civil Registry offices in Argentina (REGISTRO CIVIL). In the Zagami/Santa Fe Province that would be SAN LUIS 2950
CP3000 Santa Fe, Argentina

The website is www.registrocivil.gov.ar and unfortunately isin Spanish and wil lrequire an application in the Spanish Language and fees.

The other alternative is to wirite to the CEMLA (Argentina Immigration Head Office) and also in Spanish and fees. CEMLA has an internet listing of 11 persons surnamed ZAGAMI arriving as immigrants into Argentina only by last name. The ship arrival record only has age, marital status, sex, complete name and date of arrival at Buenos Aires and sometimes other family members acconmpanying the passenger.

This is why I suggested the assistance of an agency if you choose to research Argentina for the information you are seeking. The website for CEMLA(Centro de Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericanos) is at www.cemla.com. =Peter=
~Peter~
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

you can write to the registro civil of Buenos Aires for her death act and marriage act as long as you give them an approximate range of years no more then 10. Since you mentioned she might have lived in Avellaneda which is a city in Buenos Aires they should be able to help you. I've been writing to them with much success.

the address is
Registro civil
Uruguay 753 C.P 1018
Buenos Aires, Argentina

if you need help to translate into spanish I will be glad to help you out.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Hi Chris,
Thanks, I will try this. I wrote a letter some time ago for her marriage and death certificate but never got a response. That was over 6 months ago but it was a different address to the one you have suggested.
If you dont mind checking the letter I had translated (using an internet translation service) that would be a big help. Im sure there are many errors and therefore highly amusing.
Do I need to include money in the letter that I send to Argentina? If so how much is acceptable?
Thanks for your kind offer. How do I send you a copy of the letter?
Regards, Lili
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

I can email it, just saw the email option. Lili
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

No problem, I've sent 20 U.S dollars to 40 Dollars depending on how many records I'm asking for, but I'm not 100% sure that they are getting the money and I also include international reply coupons. With the letter I think you should have less, these people may not have the time to read the whole story, usually I just say I'm looking for death records and marriage records of my family and then I list
John smith born in 12/06/1910
marriage of John smith and Jane doe on 11/08/1934

and then I write my name and address, all they are concern are with names and dates.

this is what I would write
Estimado Señor/Señora:
Mi nombre es Lili , quisiera recibir copias del los certificados de matrimonio y el de defuncion de mi bisabuela.

Certificado de defuncion de Carmela Zagami en(insert her date of death, or approximate years)

Certificado de Matrimonio de Carmela Zagami con (insert name of husband)en (insert marriage date or approximate years)

They won't be able to give you who and when her children were born unless you can provide the names and dates or approximate years. I hope this helps, please let me know.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Thanks Chris, That's really helpful advice. All the best, Lili