apostille for certification of non-existence

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maddief
Rookie
Rookie

apostille for certification of non-existence

Post by maddief »

I need an apostille for my certification of non-existence of a naturalization record. However, I was told that Pennsylvania's Department of State would not provide an apostille for it because it was not signed by a state official but a federal one (Homeland Security). How do I get an apostille for a document signed by a federal department? I'd appreciate any help. Grazie mille!
ofoghlu
Rookie
Rookie

Re: apostille for certification of non-existence

Post by ofoghlu »

That doesn't sound right. The non-records letter from USCIS is obtained only to satisfy the Italian Govt. (consulate) that your ancestor never naturalized. An Apostille is needed if the document (birth, marriage, death cert. etc.) will be recorded in the comune in Italy. I would verify that with the consulate before you drive yourself crazy.

I got my no-records letter last year and simply had to give the original to the citizenship officer at the Boston consulate. It wasn't nor would it ever be sent to Italy.

:?
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I believe the department of state in washington dc is responsible for apostilles for federal documents. I was required to get an apostille for my son's DS-1350 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad), basically a birth certificate issued by the consulate and not a state, since the consular services falls under the department of state, I sent it there, and they put an apostille on it and sent it back.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I didn't get an apostile on that cert either , on ly vital records, BC death and marriage.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I didn't get an apostile on that cert either , on ly vital records, BC death and marriage.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I had heard that if I were to use this non-existence of naturalization certification outside of the US though, say if I were to apply in Italy, that I would need to get an apostille as well as a translation and legalization of the translation at the embassy in DC as the document is from that district.