Apostille dilemma...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Apostille dilemma...

Post by cdevita »

I have about 15 docs which need Apostilles. I am concerned about mailing all 15 docs which I need 2 Apostilles for (one for myself and one for my daughters application-that's 30 Apostilles in all!. These docs were difficult to get at best, so to send them off and hope to get them back with the Apostilles is terrifying to me. I am willing to fly home to NYC to get this done in person if they will let me sit there while they do this but I think I am asking too much...Any suggestions? I was also instructed to get some docs signed by the City Clerk (i.e marriage docs) signed by the County Clerk before I get them Apostilled by the State. Do I need to get ALL the docs certified by the County Clerk before the Apostilles?? This seems like an extra step which was pointed out for the marriage certificates and nothing else. Help!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Apostille dilemma...

Post by PeterTimber »

I would send them "registered and a return receipt requested" with a listing of each document onthat return receipt green card that you will receive in the mail when it is delivered. The registered portion is to maintain a chain of responsibility so that it can be traced and for good measure. I would insure it for the amount it would take for a private agency to do the work to replace any or all the lost documents were that to happen..(Its cheaper than an airplane fare and the law is on your side). =Peter=
~Peter~
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

great advice Peter... I would second that...
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

thank you...and I though LOCATING the records was going to be the tough part! :)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I have never done this, but

Goggle "getting an apostille in NY" and several agencies come up that advertise 24/7 hour apostille service. Your documents stay in their hand, delivered to the agency that does the apositlle and returned to you.

YOu might want to look into this. But, if a private firm can offer this service, there probably is a way for you to hand deliver and pick up your documents. Have you tried calling and asking?

Debbie
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Thanks, Debbie--I am going to do that tomorrow!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Debbie trying to emulate what the private outfit will do for a fee is not suggested by me since the private outfit has priority and tips the providers of the "apostille" . This is business and someone trying to skirt around a private outfit and hurt then in their pocketbook may get the documents lost. Thats why I suggested the registered mail return receipt requested routing. It doesn't readily offend those inthe business. =Peter=
~Peter~
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Peter,

You misunderstood my suggestion. I am not suggesting "skirting around a private outfit". I was suggesting options for the poster. They are afraid to mail in their documents. This is very understanding. There are private companies that provide this service that they may want to consider. It is up to the poster to evaluate the trustworthiness of organizations that offer this service.

Poster also stated they would consider going to NY to do this. I suggested calling the NY state office to see if this is allowed. If you go to the NY state website at

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html

it describes in detail the process to apostille a document. It also clearly states an individual can bring in a document for apostille, and this is usually done while you wait. Perfectly legal and acceptable. This is an option for anyone who chooses it.

Debbie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Debbie I agree with you if NY State has established a personal procedure such as you described but oftimes whats written is over time changes to something else so its best to check it out as you suggested.
I was under the assumption the applicant had to fly into NYC with all the agony that entails and suggested a secure legal route. =Peter=
~Peter~