Organizations that claim they do the work...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Organizations that claim they do the work...

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Does anybody know about these various organizations on the internet that claim they will take care of everything for you concerning dual citizenship? They are very pricey but claim to get all naturalization, birth, death, marriage records and including translation and apostille?

Is this is a bunch of non-sense? Anyone use them?

Alicia
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Organizations that claim they do the work...

Post by JamesBianco »

In my opinion the vast majority of these companies are ripp offs. They will in many cases charge you a ridiculous amount of money for records/forms which can sometimes be FREE if you wrote for them yourself.

With adequate research you can do everything yourself, and save $1000 or more. There are plenty of places to go online for the steps to take, and addresses to write to.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I looked up one and said for my particular case since the generation is further back it would be $6000!!

Alicia
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I looked up one and said for my particular case since the generation is further back it would be $6000!!

Alicia
That sort of illustrates my point lol

It cost me about $500 to collect all of the documents I needed, with apostiles when necessary, but I have not yet proceeded to contact the Boston Embassy for my appointment. For some reason I keep getting side tracked. Apostilles can expire so I should really get focused and continue.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Wow! Thats a big difference in price. It will be costly for me though because its going back to my great great grandfather.

Would you happen to know if I have to pay a fee for my husband and our 4 children to also become citizens. Are the fees from the consulate "per person"

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You do not need an attorney for dual citizenship unless your prepared to intiate a court action connected with dual national citizenship.

If you prefer to use the services of an organization, do your homework in ascertaining their reputation and reliability. Most importantly ask for a Pro-Forma invoice of TOTAL CHARGES for their services which include federal, state and local taxes, administrative fees, legal fees, legal stamps and postage and official stationery, translation charges etc

They may object but you ask them what is their problem with furnishing you with the Pro Forma invoice based upon what you represent as your right to dual Italian citizenship (assuming your oral statament to them of the reasons why you should be eligibile has been already discussed prior to discussing charges)

Only then would I negotiate whatever else comes up such as payment schedule at time passport is issued to you. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Wow! Thats a big difference in price. It will be costly for me though because its going back to my great great grandfather.

Would you happen to know if I have to pay a fee for my husband and our 4 children to also become citizens. Are the fees from the consulate "per person"

Alicia
If your citizenship is granted, your children, if minors, will immediately be recognized as well - all you need to do is to register their births by submitting their long-form/translated/apostilled birth certificates. See HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH
at this New York consulate web page as an example.
Many consulates will also allow you to register an adult child in this same manner. In fact, I registered my 24 year-old son's birth this way and he can now apply for his Italian passport whenever he is ready to do so.

Your husband, unfortunately, will have to apply for citizenship jure matrimoni. He will have to wait until after your citizenship has been recognized and will have to submit some serious documentation, including an FBI background check. To make matters even worse, the Italian government has recently instituted a euro200.00 charge for jure matrimoni applications. See this page for more info.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Why so much work for the husband? Because they might not be italian? Anyhow, he'd come up clean. He was a Marine and now a police officer in NYC. So he cant do anything until Im an official citizen?

That leads me to another question. Once my children are 18 and over ( they are all very young now) does that citizenship get renounced or will they be italian citizens for life? Same question about the hubby...if we ever divorced would he still hold his italian citizenship through me?

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Alicia it is always nice to know in advance what to expect by way of requirements and fees but always remember that whatever obstacles come your way sound advice and money will resolve any problems that come your way. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What do you mean money? Are you saying money talks? :lol:

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It lubricates the administrative processes and permits you to delegate all sorts of tasks to others......and then go to dinner (without the kids). =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Why so much work for the husband? Because they might not be italian?
Your own citizenship is simple (and cost-free) by comparison for the simple reason that - assuming you can produce the required documentary evidence - you already are an Italian citizen and always have been. You are simply providing proof of this fact.
DeFilippis78 wrote:Anyhow, he'd come up clean. He was a Marine and now a police officer in NYC. So he cant do anything until Im an official citizen?
Correct. Your citizenship must be recognized and you must have been married at least three years (if living outside Italy; just two years if living in Italy) before he can file his application. Then it takes a full two years to be approved/denied. See the previously linked web page.
DeFilippis78 wrote: That leads me to another question. Once my children are 18 and over ( they are all very young now) does that citizenship get renounced or will they be italian citizens for life?
They are Italian citizens for life unless they specifically and formally renounce thier citizenship by appearing in front of an Italian official (typically at a consulate) and swearing an oath. If I recall correctly, there is a new euro200.00 fee for doing that as well.
DeFilippis78 wrote: Same question about the hubby...if we ever divorced would he still hold his italian citizenship through me?
Very good! You are thinking this through. :)

So far as I know, his citizenship would also be good for life, regardless of the status of your marriage. This allows me to segue into one of my favorite, but rarely discussed, topics: will dual citizenship affect me and my family in ways that I have not considered?

These are my three major concerns which I believe are often overlooked by persons considering dual citizenship:

1) You may possibly be denied certain high-level government jobs which require top-secret security clearance.

2) If you are a wealthy person, you may find countries fighting over your assets upon your death, much as several states fought to get a portion of Howard Hughes assets back in the 1970's (?). In addition, if you happen to pass away while on Italian soil, you may find that your wishes expressed in your Last Will & Testament (if any) are ignored by the Italian courts and your assets will be distributed in accordance with Italian law. I would imagine that probate costs could rise dramatically if an heir decided to challenge your will in whichever country he/she thought might garner the better result.

3) If your marriage is not strong, you (or your spouse) may find it useful to examine the laws of each country and file divorce action in the one which best serves your/his goals, to the detriment of the other spouse.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well thats good news for me...me and my husband dont plan on running for any governmental position, we arent loaded and our marriage is rock solid!

But, yes, I am thinking it through. Im in college to become a librarian and Im an avid researcher by nature. I cant help but ask a million questions. :wink: This geneaology is a researchers worst nightmare. I cant find a damn thing!

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Alicia it is said that "GENEALOGY IS WHERE YOU CONFUSE THE DEAD AND IRRITATE THE LIVING." = Peter=
~Peter~