Had my appointment in San Francisco

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corneto

Had my appointment in San Francisco

Post by corneto »

It's been almost 3 months since I had my long awaited appointment at the San Francisco Consulate. I have neglected reporting back to this forum that has helped and guided me over the past year and half, my apologies. Over all things went really well with one minor surprise. I met with Anna Maria Stone who was very friendly but very busy and rushed.
I was applying for myself, two minor children and my wife. On the application it asks for all pertinent information and documents for my wife however when we showed up only I was able to go into the appointment. I had been absolutely meticulous with my documents. I had them in a binder with 14 folders for each item required. I even had a picture on the front of the binder of the direct bloodline to Italy: Me to my Father to my Grand Father to my G-Grandfather. Ms. Stone made a comment about how organized I was and how she gets annoyed when people come in with half filled out information. We went item by item and everything went perfectly. The issues that I was most concerned about were not a big deal. I was worried because of minor spelling discrepancies from one document to the next (two tt’s instead of one t; americanized names, etc). She simply stated I need to return a document with a list of all of these items and how they differ from the original birth certificate. That document is considered gold and everything is compared by that.
The bump in the road came when she was closely inspecting my g-grandfathers birth certificate. She noticed that he was married to another woman before my g-grandmother. He was born in Sicily and married there. He came to America in 1900 and she came a year later. Sometime between her arrival in 1901 and 1904 she passed away because he remarried in 1904. Ms. Stone gave me the “oh noâ€
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Had my appointment in San Francisco

Post by johnnyonthespot »

corneto wrote:...
I’m not even so sure why this is so important? She’s agreed that I’ve clearly proven my direct bloodline on my paternal side. It’s this first wife that is fouling it all up.
Honestly, in the end I don't see how or why this would be important.

One could argue that the goal is to ensure that your great-grandfather's second marriage was legitimate. However it has been well-established that even illegitimate children inherit citizenship.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

She may haved felt compelled to match your excellence with hers! =Peter=
~Peter~
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Sorry to hear about that craziness. If you look at the documents required when you file in Italy, it doesn't mention any non-blood documents, or even any death certificates at all, non or blood line. Crazy there isn't a clarification, or can we bring the Circolare n K 28 1 8 aprile 1991 and they will understand the stated requirements to the process? probably not huh?
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

[quote="corneto"]It's been almost 3 months since I had my long awaited appointment at the San Francisco Consulate. I have neglected reporting back to this forum that has helped and guided me over the past year and half, my apologies. Over all things went really well with one minor surprise. I met with Anna Maria Stone who was very friendly but very busy and rushed.
I was applying for myself, two minor children and my wife. On the application it asks for all pertinent information and documents for my wife however when we showed up only I was able to go into the appointment. I had been absolutely meticulous with my documents. I had them in a binder with 14 folders for each item required. I even had a picture on the front of the binder of the direct bloodline to Italy: Me to my Father to my Grand Father to my G-Grandfather. Ms. Stone made a comment about how organized I was and how she gets annoyed when people come in with half filled out information. We went item by item and everything went perfectly. The issues that I was most concerned about were not a big deal. I was worried because of minor spelling discrepancies from one document to the next (two tt’s instead of one t; americanized names, etc). She simply stated I need to return a document with a list of all of these items and how they differ from the original birth certificate. That document is considered gold and everything is compared by that.
The bump in the road came when she was closely inspecting my g-grandfathers birth certificate. She noticed that he was married to another woman before my g-grandmother. He was born in Sicily and married there. He came to America in 1900 and she came a year later. Sometime between her arrival in 1901 and 1904 she passed away because he remarried in 1904. Ms. Stone gave me the “oh noâ€
corneto

Post by corneto »

Great news! Out of the blue I got a call from Mrs Stone at the SF Consulate. We discussed my research at length and inability to find my g-grandfathers first wifes death certificate. I told her I had come to a dead end. Then to my amazement she said "Ok, never mind. Please fax me scans of your passport and your childrens passport and I will send out your acceptance letter" WHAT?? I couldn't believe it! Finalmente! Success! Two years of painstaking research finally pays off.
I'll send out another new post when its official and I have the document in my hand!
Thanks again for everyones help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Corneto congragtulations are in order. I am very happy that Mrs Stone saw the light and recognized she did not use the discretion you merited. =Peter=
~Peter~
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Congratulations! Gives us all hope. Maybe it was kindness during this holiday season!
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

Awesome!