Looking for manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Looking for manifest

Post by donnawright »

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0062317216&

That is a link to my grandfather's ship manifest in 1906 -- Line 14
Transcription error.....name should be Tommaso Tomaino

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2384180164
This is the link to a 1905 passage -- Line 21
Transcription error of this name too.

I found these on stevemorse.org by entering Tom and Tom and Pianopoli for the town or origin. I feel they are the same man because

1. Both going to Wellsville OH
2. Both name Giuseppe Scavo & Giuseppe LoScavo as American contact
3. DOB is one year apart

His son Salvatore was born in Pianopoli Dec 1908, and his wife Caterina journeyed in 1909. She also names Pianopoli as her hometown, and thus I believe a 1908 passage for Tommaso would originate there as well.

I am looking for a passage to coincide with the birth of Salvatore to put Tommaso in Italy in possibly March or after to be there for this conception.

Thanks to anyone who will look

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for manifest

Post by johnnyonthespot »

donnawright wrote:http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0062317216&

That is a link to my grandfather's ship manifest in 1906 -- Line 14
Transcription error.....name should be Tommaso Tomaino

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2384180164
This is the link to a 1905 passage -- Line 21
Transcription error of this name too.

I found these on stevemorse.org by entering Tom and Tom and Pianopoli for the town or origin. I feel they are the same man because

1. Both going to Wellsville OH
2. Both name Giuseppe Scavo & Giuseppe LoScavo as American contact
3. DOB is one year apart

His son Salvatore was born in Pianopoli Dec 1908, and his wife Caterina journeyed in 1909. She also names Pianopoli as her hometown, and thus I believe a 1908 passage for Tommaso would originate there as well.

I am looking for a passage to coincide with the birth of Salvatore to put Tommaso in Italy in possibly March or after to be there for this conception.

Thanks to anyone who will look

Donna
Do you believe he traveled to the US with his mother? If so, please be aware that women travelled under their maiden names and so it would be helpful to know Caterina's full name.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

1912 arrival manifest for Salvatore Tomaino, travelling with his mother Caterina Curcio and brother Francesco Tomaino:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

Do you have the original birth certificate for Salvatore?
Laura
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Actually, all of the information is correct.. And 1912 is also correct for the rest of the family. I key'd in the wrong year, but they are the correct family.

I found a copy of Sal's Certificato di nascita!
Venticique dicembre millenovcentootto. December 25 1908
figli d Tommaso e della Curcio Caterina

There is also a printed statement at the bottom "Dal ufficio communale, li " and then handwritten 27-1-1938. What would this represent?

This family is intact on the 1920 Wellsville OH census, but I do not think Tommaso is on the 1910 census. I thought he should be. Was it common then to miss people? I don't know who he lived with. Possibly should check Wellsville for Giuseppe Scavo/LoScavo/LoSchiavo??? and see if Tom is in that house.

Laura, since you posted the link for Francesco, please take a look at the annotations on his entry. There are a few there that are not covered in the information online about annotations. Such as, the "A" in a circle. And the "D". I can't find Frank. I have looked, others in this forum have looked. So far, he dropped off. He is on the 1920 Wellsville OH census in the household of Tommaso and Caterina and listed as soldier. I received a Stato di famiglia from Pianopoli that shows an addendum to Frank's birth record (1899) that Frank married a woman from a neighboring town thru a contractural marriage in 1936. Apparently he died before I was born (1949) under suspicious conditions, but his son from Canada visited my mother in 1976. Any ideas or suggestions on where to go to find Frank? No one in the family knows anything about him. His son from Canada, it is said, moved to Italy after his own son died as a teenager in the 1970's-80's. I don't know where. I'd like to find him too. He would be in 60-70 years old now.

Thanks.. I always benefit from your experience and expertise.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

The "T" in Tomaino has also been seen transcribed as a "C" and an "I" also, if that helps in any way. There are tons of Tomaino from other towns in Catanzaro, but I do not see any reason to think Tommaso originated from anywhere other than Pianopoli, given that Caterina and the children came from Pianopoli in 1912.

Thanks again.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

donnawright wrote:...
I found a copy of Sal's Certificato di nascita!
Venticique dicembre millenovcentootto. December 25 1908
figli d Tommaso e della Curcio Caterina

There is also a printed statement at the bottom "Dal ufficio communale, li " and then handwritten 27-1-1938. What would this represent?...
Maybe January 27, 1938 is the date when the certificate was issued.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Donna,

Don't know if you already have this record, in the doubt I'll post it:

Ohio Military Men, 1917-18
about Frank F. Tomaino
Name: Frank F. Tomaino
Serial Number: 45756
Race: W
Residence: Wellsville, O.
Enlistment Division: Regular Army
Enlistment Location: Columbus Barracks, O.
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1917
Birth Place: Italy
Assigns Comment: Co D 18 Infantry (Machine Gun Company 1 Battalion 18 Infantry) to 12 Aug 1918; Casual (Detachment of Patients) to 24 Oct 1918; School for Bakers & Cooks to 19 Dec 1918; 1 Depot Division to 27 Dec 1918; St Aignan Casual Co 438 to 9 Jan 1919; Casual (Detachment of Patients) to Discharge Private Montdidier-Noyon; Defensive Sector. Gassed 21 May 1918; Wounded In Action slightly 11 June 1918. American Expeditionary Forces 14 June 1917 to 25 Apr 1919. Honorable discharge 3 Nov 1919. Surgeon's Certificate of Disability Cited in General Order 1 Division dated 1 Jan 1920.
Volume #: 17

and, (I apologize if I'm writing an obviouse thing or something already verified) about the annotations on his line on the 1912 arrival manifest, i believe they are referring to his return to Italy to marry... V or V/L (Verification of landing) was a note for persons who asked to travel abroad and wanted to be sure to be readmitted once back in the U.S.
See this:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/name/

Letters "V/L" followed by numbers over numbers,
sometimes with a date . . .
Prior to 1924, there were no "Reentry Permits." This meant that immigrants living in the United States, who wanted to travel abroad, had no assurance they would be readmitted to the U.S. upon return. Many of them would contact the Immigration Service prior to travel and ask for some paper, or pass, to guarantee their reentry. A practice developed, especially at Ellis Island, to issue such immigrants a letter from the Port Commissioner documenting the immigrant's previous admission for permanent residence. The letter was not a guarantee, but greatly facilitated the immigrant's travel.

When the clerk verified (checked) the original passenger list in these cases, he or she would annotate the list to show the activity. The letters "V/L" or "V L" stand for Verification of Landing. The numbers refer to a New York (usually) file number wherein records of all these transactions were filed. The file did not relate to the individual. Rather, it contained stacks of incoming and outgoing letters on verification of landing matters. The files no longer survive. The annotations can be helpful, though, in that they suggest the immigrant was planning a trip abroad and may appear again on a later passenger list.

It may be that some of these verifications were performed for reasons other than reentry letters. For example, any other instance where an immigrant requested proof that he or she had been legally admitted to the United States. And there are occasions when one will find the "V/L" annotation format dated later than 1924. To see common references to Reentry Permits after July 1924, see below, and see the page on Visa annotations

donnawright wrote:I received a Stato di famiglia from Pianopoli that shows an addendum to Frank's birth record (1899) that Frank married a woman from a neighboring town thru a contractural marriage in 1936.
so, possible the period he was away from the U.S. was from October 23, 1935 to January 23, 1936 (frame period on the arrival manifest)...
Which is the exact marriage date on the "Stato di famiglia" and his wife's maiden name?

Laura :D
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ohio Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918
about Frank F. Tomaino
Name: Frank F. Tomaino
Race: White
Birth Date: 29 May 1897
Birth Location: Italy

Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1917
Enlistment County: Columbus Barracks
Enlistment State: Ohio
Enlistment Division: Regular Army
Decorations and Awards: View image
Advancement: View image
Comments: Co D 18 Infantry (Machine Gun Company 1 Battalion 18 Infantry) to 12 Aug 1918; Casual (Detachment of Patients) to 24 Oct 1918; School for Bakers & Cooks to 19 Dec 1918; 1 Depot Division to 27 Dec 1918; St Aignan Casual Co 438 to 9 Jan 1919; Casual (Detach

[img=http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5996 ... ank.th.jpg]
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

No... I did not have this information before today.. Thank you. I posted a reply but for some reason it got kicked off and am writing again. So, if a second one appears, I don't know why. The error message was something about cookies and then my text was all gone.

The stato di famiglia shows Frank's DOB as 29 May 1899 - 2 years different from what your source shows. Which do you think is more reliable? I think from the 1920 census I calculated his year to be 1899, but just a guess. It is typed out on the extract: milleottocentonovantanove and on the summary page it is typed as: 25.05.1899

It also shows his bride to be Maria Assunta Mammoliti fu Michelangelo, married in Feroleto Antico on May 24, 1936. Perhaps need to look for a manifest for her! Since Frank's son visited from Canada, I feel sure he came back this side of the ocean -- US or Canada

This makes Frank 37 when he married Maria (1936 - 1899). I have a photo of him, a woman, and a girl and boy children. No date. I will have to analyze it a bit to try to date those kids.

Is there something I should be requesting from Feroleto Antico that might help?

Manifest annotations: Any idea about the A in a circle and the D?

Tommaso Tomaino: I guess there is still a passage somewhere out there for him to coincide with the conception of Salvatore in 1908. (DOB 12-25-1908). I considered the possibiity that she had a friend in 1908, but she names him as father.

Thank you all for your help. It's always such a good day when new information is discovered.

Donna