NARA doesn't certify letters of No Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lunastella

NARA doesn't certify letters of No Record

Post by lunastella »

Maybe folks are already aware of this, but when the National Archives does not find a record of naturalization, they will send a letter that indicates so, and provided the details of the search. But they do not certify these letters. Or so this is what I was told by the person who responded to my Nat'l Archives research request today.

I thought I read on the SF or LA website of the Italian Embassy that a certified letter of no record is required from the NARA. Seems like they need every document certified wherever possible.

I've read on here that sometimes people receive different information depending on who they speak to at these agencies. Can anyone else confirm one way or the other?

Thanks, all!

Jessica
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NARA doesn't certify letters of No Record

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Jessica.

I was also advised by NARA that they do not certify - they will however send you a "statement" that you can provide to the consulate. You should also obtain a USCIS Certification of Non-existence to submit to the consulate. NARA is very fast with their replies ... USCIS - not so fast. :(

Good luck!
Sophia