Now what ??!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Now what ??!!

Post by DeFilippis78 »

NARA checked NYC, Trenton and Newark courts and found no record

NJ State archives said they only hold naturalization records from 1850s and earlier and check with the county.

I got a letter today from hudson county saying there is no record.

All that leaves me is USCIS but they need a date of birth which I dont have. Just an apporximnate year.So its looking right now like he wasnt naturalized. What should I do? Im at a total loss.

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Now what ??!!

Post by misbris »

I don't believe that the information you have about the NJ State Archives is correct. I know that other members of this forum have gone there and found records for the 1900's. Perhaps Hudson County is different, but I am sure some other of our NJ members can weigh in on this.

I think that you need to get your gggrandfather's date of birth first. You can have all the paperwork in the world, but if you have no birth certificate, you cannot prove the right to citizenship. As you search for that, other things may fall into place. :wink:
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats the problem...no date of birth. Only approximate year of birth. I sent in a request and fee to NJ archives. They sent me back the check and a letter saying that the state does not hold naturalization records unless they are from 1850 and earlier. Anytime after that they stated you have to go to the county they lived in. Maybe this is a new rule

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

here is a qoute right from NJ state archives:

Naturalizations (Citizenship Papers)
State-Level Naturalizations (by the Supreme Court, Chancery Court, Prerogative Court and Legislature) all counties, 1750s-1830s.

$5.00 per 5 years searched; provide name, county, and approximate year; almost all are men because women obtained citizenship through their husbands.

He was possibly naturalized from 1890-1920. So NJ said there is nothing and the county said there is nothing

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

According to this, they have Hudson County records to 1920. I guess they must be pretty disorganized. Did you give them a date to search?

http://www.njarchives.org/links/webcat/ ... atura.html
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

No, I gave them a bunch of years to try because Im not sure. I just sent them an email to ask them whats the deal. Do they have records or not? They seem to be very disorganized.

Alicia

PS- Im attempting to get a death certificate hoping they have one and it will have his date of birth and place of birth
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Congradulations, this is like a rite of passage. Now you know the census can and is often wrong! Just becuase somebody like a 10 year old, or in my case, my grandfather bought his papers from the alderman for $10. God Bless his soul!!! They went throught their entire lives saying they were citizens. This caused me no end of worry. I ammended my grandfathers death certificate to show he was an Italian citizen at birth with my letter of no record found.
I bleive this was quite common ---- good luck!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Did you have to get his birth certificate or was the death certificate saying he was born in Italy with no records found enough for you to prove dual citizenship?

Alicia
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

On the subject of Hudson County. What a pain. But, the State of New Jersey is just as bad. They don't seem to want to bother looking and yet they do keep the money. I requested a death record search for my great grandmother from the State. They only searched Hudson County and returned a no record found for that County yet I had requested a statewide search. I have had to send requests to each county. They will not do a county by county search and apparently do not have a statewide index. (at $35 a crack the money adds up)

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

lilbees:

What year are you looking for a death certificate for?

Debbie
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Deb, looking for 1896.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa