Name Changing

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
oscar344

Name Changing

Post by oscar344 »

If you changed your name in the US and then applied for citizenship from Italy (assuming that you qualify) what name will go on the citizenship and passport?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Name Changing

Post by PeterTimber »

Youmight wish to visit www.uscis.gov for a possible source in order to pose your question. =Peter=
~Peter~
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Oscar

Peter did give you a USA source, but I would like to clarify what you are asking.

1. You ancestor's Italian surname has been "changed" over the years in the USA, but never changed legally from its original form. Thus your birth record has a different spelling than the original form. The certificates in the line, may have different spellings and you have to convince/prove to the Italian consulate they all belong to the correct person or will need to amend certificates so they all match.

2. Your ancestor's Italian surname was legally changed. You are asking will the Italian consulate use the original surname, or the new legal name.

You will probably get more advice if you can be clearer about what you are asking.

Debbie
oscar344

Post by oscar344 »

I was curious about whether if as a US citizen you changed your name from Smith to Johnson, for personal reasons, and somehow you were Italian. And you decided to get your Italian citizenship would this hurt you.
Con Affetto
Benito512

Post by Benito512 »

Ciao Oscar,

I do believe that if you legally changed your name, you will need to provide the court order that indicates your name change during your application process. When your Italian citizenship is granted, your name will appear in its current legal form.

Buona fortuna,

Benito :D
oscar344

Post by oscar344 »

Grazie, Benito
Con Affetto
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

names changes for personal reasons can be changed for any acitivity so long as it is legal by simply using the name in your day to day activities.

From personal experiences i know that you can also change your name by furnishing a declaration to your local county or city law department in affidavit form and if you wish to save money use their law library books for the affidavit words and submit same thru an atttorney. He may charge you for postage and writing an accompanying letter but a lot less thanthe $500-1500 fees they charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
palex

Post by palex »

I am in the exact same situation. I changed my last name a few years ago for personal reasons, and submitted all of my paperwork to the consulate. After waiting about a year for processing, they contacted me and informed me that I must obtain an ammended birth certificate for myself reflecting the name change. Of course, only some states ammed birth certificates, and my state is not one of them. They therefore gave me two scenarios:

1) They can register me as an italian citizen under my FORMER name, which would not exactly be ideal for me, or

2) They could submit everything as it is to the commune, with the hopes that it is acceptable, but with the likelihood that a prefect will have to make a decsion on my case.

When I discussed this in person with them last summer, they said they were going to seek advice from another consulate on how to proceed. Of course, my subsequent attempts at corresponding with them have been unsucessful.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would let the process take its course..Its 50/50 if they will or will not accept the scenario but then again they might just wave the magic adminstrative wand and grant you your request. If they do your home free and if they do not they will then have to tell you what is open to you.

It is quite possible that once they issue you a passport you can legally change your name in Italy if no other choice is left to you. =Peter=
~Peter~
palex

Post by palex »

Well, I am hoping it is at least a 50/50 chance, though I feel it could be 5% or 95% for all I know. I just wish there was some way to find out if the consulate decided to go ahead and submit my papers, or if they are waiting on something (they no longer reply to my emails and I have since moved across the country, so I can´t really drop in).

Is it possible to change one´s name in Italy? I had been told that people simply do not do that there, except under extraordinary circumstances.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would think (but don't know for sure) that any modern up to date industrial society would need to accomodate a business technique such as name changing with ease. But since I cannot cite chapter and verse of the law I will keep this anecdotal. =Peter=
~Peter~