Appointment in Boston. Success? YES! Updated Dec 17

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Appointment in Boston. Success? YES! Updated Dec 17

Post by tonyric »

Tore wrote:Tony a quick question, how did you get an apostile for your moms 'living ascendant' letter? Notarized I can understand but the apostile?
Wasn't for my Mom, it was for my father. I had it notarized and then just took it for an apostille. 15 minutes plus the time to walk from the consulate to ashburton place and back. About 1 hour total.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

JamesBianco wrote:Thanks for the update! Boston is my consulate as well. I've spoken to that man twice on the phone and he did give me the third degree, maybe to weed out people who haven't done their research. I have all of my documents, but keep putting it off for some reason. The biggest issue is that my great-grandfather Diego Bianco went by John in this country. His US documents are always John except for his father's citizenship petition (Diego was already married at that point with three children)...

I'm really happy for you! Congrats!!

:D
He is VERY thorough but very fair and pleasant to work with. He does care about his work and wants things done correctly and will give you proper information as he knows it.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I am surprised that the notarized living ascendant declaration would require an apostille. Is it being sent to the Comune as well or is it just for use at the consulate? Strange... I don't even have that document/form yet to get it signed/notarized then an apostille if necessary. If it is notarized in PA where my mother is at, then it would need a PA apostille, which is a longer walk for me. :) How can this be done ahead of time to have completed for the appointment? I remember seeing some forms that some consulates make available but can't remember where I saw this one... anyone have a link and advice/direction?
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Mulé wrote:I am surprised that the notarized living ascendant declaration would require an apostille. Is it being sent to the Comune as well or is it just for use at the consulate? Strange... I don't even have that document/form yet to get it signed/notarized then an apostille if necessary. If it is notarized in PA where my mother is at, then it would need a PA apostille, which is a longer walk for me. :) How can this be done ahead of time to have completed for the appointment? I remember seeing some forms that some consulates make available but can't remember where I saw this one... anyone have a link and advice/direction?
I am not sure it does but when I was in front of him and he said he wanted it apostilled, I wasn't arguing for 1 hour and $7.00 lol
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I completely understand - if that is what they ask for, that is what they want... no use protesting at that point. I would just like to have it completed before going to the appointment, instead of doing it via a follow up. :(
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I found a document/template in my work files. I knew I had it somewhere, just not sure which consulate/site I pulled this from. Does this document look like what you were required to use?

PDF --> Declarations | Living Ascendant & Deceased Ascendant
Tore

Post by Tore »

That's the form I am using. No doubt my mom will freak out when she reads the line about "the undersigned will also obtain his/her own recognition of Italian citizenship". No doubt momma will think we are trying to ship her back to the old country :)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

yeah I read that. I am not sure I understand because if she doesn't apply, and only signs this form for my application, how will she be registered too?
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Ya that is an odd statement in that declaration as my father did not receive recognition in my process even with that statement in there.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

yeah that is my understanding, that if they don't make/complete an application, they won't be recognized and recorded. I thought all the documents you send regarding the lineage would be recorded in the comune, making it easy for my mother to subsequently apply by simply requesting her italian birth certificate, but someone indicated that this was not the case and only my birth certificate would be recorded at the comune.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

When applying in Boston:
Where there fees to apply or process your application?
Were you required to purchase Marco da Bollo for your documents?
I will call the consulate after the New Year to try for an appointment. I want to be as prepared as possible, like by bringing cash to the appointment if necessary.

Happy New Year!
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Mulé wrote:When applying in Boston:
Where there fees to apply or process your application?
Were you required to purchase Marco da Bollo for your documents?
I will call the consulate after the New Year to try for an appointment. I want to be as prepared as possible, like by bringing cash to the appointment if necessary.

Happy New Year!
No fees for jure sanguinis.

No marca da bollo except for the japanese document I had to have legalized at the embassy in tokyo

You are jure sanguinis, no money needed.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

thanks for the reply. I can't wait to make my appointment. I hope the official is well rested and relaxed from the holiday, and there isn't a long wait to get an appointment. I really hope I am able to apply here without having to go to Italy to apply before Feb. 2011.
Tore

Post by Tore »

Mule let us know how long it takes to make an appointment please
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I will report back after the new year as to the outcome of the scheduling of the appointment.