divorce certificate needed?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
removelardo

divorce certificate needed?

Post by removelardo »

there is little mention of the need for divorce certs? Is this necessary?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: divorce certificate needed?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

removelardo wrote:there is little mention of the need for divorce certs? Is this necessary?
For yourself or for an ancestor?

For yourself, yes - absolutely necessary, especially if you have since remarried.

For an ancestor, I would suggest you ask your consulate. Much will depend on whether you were a child of the first marriage or of a later marriage.

And, by the way, it is not just a divorce "certificate" which is required, but the entire divorce agreement, settlement, etc. Professionally translated, certified, and apostilled. Many consulates also require a certification issued by the court clerk attesting that the case is closed and that there are no pending challenges.
removelardo

Post by removelardo »

ah yes, for my parents, of which I am the product of my father's first marriage.

Hopefully this is not a big deal....
removelardo

Post by removelardo »

another detail - my father is deceased
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

removelardo wrote:ah yes, for my parents, of which I am the product of my father's first marriage.

Hopefully this is not a big deal....
Then the theory is that you can simply not mention it and no one will be the wiser.

If you were the product of a second (third, fourth...) marriage, their marriage license would indicate that there were previous marriages and the consulate would want proof that that/those marriages were legaly dissolved.
removelardo

Post by removelardo »

ok, thanks for the help. A bit of a concern is that my father's death cert. has the name of his second wife. I don't think they will make a big deal of that though, minor detail.

Thanks again.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

removelardo wrote:ok, thanks for the help. A bit of a concern is that my father's death cert. has the name of his second wife. I don't think they will make a big deal of that though, minor detail.

Thanks again.
If the examiner is doing his/her job, he/she will stop the process and proclaim, "wait - this death certificate appears to be for a different person who had the same name and birthdate as your father but not the same wife!"

You will need to explain, adamantly, that this is the correct document and that your father divorced in 19xx and remarried in 19xx. Then hope that the consulate does not demand proof of same. At the very least, it would be a good idea to have a copy of your father's second marriage certificate handy...