First name change - amend which documents?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mromano

First name change - amend which documents?

Post by mromano »

My grandfather was born with the first name Cesare, and that is on his birth certificate. But later in life, he called himself Chester instead of Cesare (on his marriage certificate, death certificate, and under father's name for his childrens' birth certificates).

I don't think he legally changed his name.

Which document(s) should I amend? Should I amend his marriage certificate and childrens' birth certificates to reflect his birth name Cesare? Or should I amend his birth certificate to reflect his later name Chester?

Thanks very much for your help! And Happy New Year!

=)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: First name change - amend which documents?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

mromano wrote:My grandfather was born with the first name Cesare, and that is on his birth certificate. But later in life, he called himself Chester instead of Cesare (on his marriage certificate, death certificate, and under father's name for his childrens' birth certificates).

I don't think he legally changed his name.

Which document(s) should I amend? Should I amend his marriage certificate and childrens' birth certificates to reflect his birth name Cesare? Or should I amend his birth certificate to reflect his later name Chester?

Thanks very much for your help! And Happy New Year!

=)
Which consulate are you using?

I would be hesitant to change so many documents that potentially impact so many people unless the consulate demanded that I did so. Consulates are used to anglicized first names and often let them pass; you should try to find out your consulate's reaction to your specific case before moving forward with ammendments.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: First name change - amend which documents?

Post by corrado »

This worked for me in Chicago, I make no promices, but sure beats inter-lining all those recrods:

DICHIARAZIONE SOSTITUTIVA DI CERTIFICAZIONE
(Art. 46 D.P.R. 28 dicembre 2000, n. 445)

Il sottoscritto Corrado, Jon Alexander

nato a Chicago, Illinois, USA on 1/10/ 1952
residente a 2176 W. Windsor Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60625 USA

consapevole delle sanzioni penali, nel caso di dichiarazioni non veritiere e falsità negli atti, richiamate
dall’art. 76 D.P.R. 445 del 28/12/2000
DICHIARA

che la persona identificata come Giuseppe Corrado nel certificato di nascita e la persona indicata come Joseph P. Corrado sono la stessa persona

30 Maggio , 2009

Dichiaro, altresì, di essere informato, ai sensi e per gli effetti di cui all'art. 13 del D.Lgs. 196/2003 che
I dati personali raccolti saranno trattati, anche con strumenti informatici, esclusivamente nell'ambito del procedimento per il quale la presente dichiarazione viene resa.