options

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

options

Post by teakandreggie »

Master Peter,
If you have been following my posts, you will see that I haven't rec'd the birth certificate of my grandmother from Terlizzi. Not that I haven't tried, 3 letters, 1 email and a visit to the NY Consulate. They told me to come back next month if I haven't rec'd it by then.
I haven't come across any posts w members having a similar problem.
My question to you is what are my options in obtaining this document from Italy?
Teak
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: options

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Teak I am very sorry that you were so dastardly inconvenienced. Normally its a 4-6/8 week wait.

Here is a website to sewnd a "REQUESTING ACTION" letter to the Mayor of Terlizzi which you will find at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... action.asp and send it to the town MAYOR (sindaco) whose name you will find at
www.tuttitalia.it/puglia/50-terlizzi and scroll down to MUNICIPIO for the address. There is no charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

At this point I'd make a phone call to the stato civile. See what she says.

OIh be very polite.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

A women at the front desk of the ny consulate said a letter to the major wouldn't help unless its election year and my Italian is very limited, I would not be able to communicate my request.
Teak
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

My first step would do the orthodox steps of writing to the Mayor since the Law establishes that the right og the public to receive a reply from a public office within thirty (30) days of a request, This letter rarely goes unanswered. Be sure to include a copy of your follow up letter(s) with this letter to the Mayor showing the date of the follow up to your original request. This I am advised is extremely effective. Please keep me posted.

Go to http://www.circolocalabrfese.org/resour ... action.asp
for form letter to the Mayor requesting action. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:My first step would do the orthodox steps of writing to the Mayor since the Law establishes that the right og the public to receive a reply from a public office within thirty (30) days of a request,

This letter rarely goes unanswered.
Except, of course, in Roccasecca (FR) where apparently all letters go unanswered. :(

After receiving no response to one visit (while on vacation) and two follow-up letters over a total period of 6 months, I sent a "Letter to town mayor requesting action following no response from the Stato Civile or Anagrafe." using this form letter generator and did not receive a response to that one either.

Ultimately, I was lucky to have "met" a wonderful American woman on one of these boards who lives not far from Roccasecca. I had hoped I could convince her to make a telephone call for me; instead she offered to visit the comune on my behalf. When she arrived, the stato civile officer said, "Oh yes, I have his information right here..." and he proceded to finish up his research and she walked out with the necessary birth and marriage certificates in hand.

Teak - since Terlizzi is a medium-sized comune, you may be able to find someone in the "city hall" who speaks English. You may want to try telephoning and when the phone is answered, say, "Mi scusi signore (if a man answers) signora (if a woman), parla l'inglese?" Alternately, "Scusate, qualcuno parla inglese?"

If you are uncertain about the pronunciation, plug the entire phrase "Mi scusi signore, parla l'inglese?" or "Scusate, qualcuno parla inglese?", into this site and click the "Say text" button. You will find the pronunication to be quite accurate.

Terlizzi's telephone number appears to be 080 3542011. From the US, you would dial 011 39 080 3542011. Don't forget about the time difference - Italy is six hours ahead of US east coast time, 9 hours ahead of west coast.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would only do what Johnny advbises after you follow the established adminstrative steps wich is outlined in the ww.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/sindaco_action.asp
iIf this does noe result in any positive action then and only then would I call and ask to speak with the Mayor and let him know how disappointed you are for his town 's misfeasance (TORTO).

Further if this does not help then there is a HQ in Rome whose address I have in my files. If you donot follow the steps the Mayor can always say that you avolided following the "proper procedures" when complaining and your complaint will be summarily dismissed believe me.....admninistration is more lethal than a bullet! Err on the side of assuring them of your correctness thru the process. =Peter=
~Peter~
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

I sent an email to Lucia at Patronato INAS, Orland Park, IL and to the NY Consulate yesterday. I will wait till I get a response from them before I mail a letter to the mayor. I don't think writing to the mayor will help. Just another $18 for a registered letter and 6wks waiting for a possible reply. I am getting discouraged!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You do not have to register the letter?? If you want a receipt the just ask for return receipt if that is possible for overseas letters. Normally a regular letter would be sufficient but if it makes you feel comfortable then any receipt obtained from the Post office hearing the signature of the recipient is sufficient to establish mailing the letter. Just ask the PO people that you want a recipt the cheapest way possible. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The letter to the Mayor, by Law established the right of the public to receive a reply from a public office within 30 days of a request. Be sure to include a copy of your follow-up letter with this letter to the Mayor (Sindaco). =Peter=
~Peter~
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

I'll mail a letter to the mayor w return signature receipt tomorrow. Can't hurt.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Lucia returned my phone call today. I will hold off sending a letter to the mayor.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

what did Lucia say? =Peter=
~Peter~
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

I think she will mail a letter to the comune using their letterhead.
F/U w her the end of this week. Wish me luck.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Not only do I wish you luck I even ordered a raise for you!! =Peter=
~Peter~